PDA

View Full Version : Hall Table WIP

Superbunny
15th July 2012, 09:40 PM
I was so impressed with Vern Bunn's (Titi) hall table I just had to have a go. I asked Vern if he was happy for me to copy it as a matter of curtsy. I'm making it out of Qld Maple I purchased from Mapleman who was very helpful and had a good price for the timber. I plan to do some inlay work on the top with my new Makita plunge router/laminater I got from the UK recently.

Heres some pics of the timber and book matching the top.

LGS
15th July 2012, 09:48 PM
Nice timber, should look good when finished.:2tsup:

Regards,

Rob

woodie2
16th July 2012, 01:15 AM
The top looks excellent and the whole project should look good. I will take an intrest in this WIP. Good luck with the build

Claw Hama
16th July 2012, 01:22 AM
Yeh, nice timber, will have to keep an eye on this one.

3 toed sloth
16th July 2012, 07:03 PM
Timber looks nice, I'll be watching:)

Christos
16th July 2012, 08:12 PM
Another one to watch. :2tsup:

TTIT
17th July 2012, 08:46 AM
Hmmmm! :think: . . better keep an eye on him! :;

artme
18th July 2012, 07:52 PM
A must watch!!

I shall hold you to your high standards SB.:D

corbs
18th July 2012, 08:13 PM
Looks like I missed a seat on the front row so I will stand behind them to get a look at how this goes :)

That bookmatched top looks amazing:2tsup:

Daniel99
18th July 2012, 09:18 PM
Great looking wood... can't wait to see more!

Superbunny
18th July 2012, 10:14 PM
I shall hold you to your high standards SB.:D

I see no pressure then.:)

Just remember I still have a day job and it might take a little time to really get things going, I only seem to get 1/2 a day per week in the shop these days and you SWMBO will have something that needs doing. That reminds me I've got some picture frames to finish and some nice boxes.:D:D

SB

ajw
19th July 2012, 06:54 PM
Just remember I still have a day job and it might take a little time to really get things going,

SB

That's no excuse. We're all watching a shed being constructed out of massive timbers elsewhere on the forum, and at the current rate, it'll be done in a couple of weeks. Then there's WW and his creations, not to mention the speed that Claw pumps out things from Newcastle. We've just become accustomed to WIPs taking days, not weeks or months, so there's really not excuse.

Will be watching this one - that timber could be hiding something amazing.

ajw

Superbunny
23rd July 2012, 09:52 PM
Got some more progress the other day, the top cut to final finish and some shaping of the 4 legs to finished size on the bobbin sander. Then started the inlay for the top but not finished yet. The inlay timber will be sheoak, a scrap piece mapleman gave me when I purchased the Qld Maple off him. Apart from a boarder around the outer edge that you can see cut ready I plan to do a design like the one on the SBS news. The Makita router/trimmer I got from the UK worked really great and I'm glad I got it now with all the different bases and plunge capability it's the bees nees. :D:D

SB

Superbunny
29th July 2012, 09:41 PM
More progress today with the inlay all completed and looking good if I say so myself. I've just started to get the rails and cabnet boards ready for next weekend.:D:D

SB

FRB Design
29th July 2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry, but I can't understand the meaning of the pattern of the inlay. To me it distracts from the natural beauty of the book match.

Regards,

Frank.

Superbunny
30th July 2012, 12:31 PM
The inlay is not supposed to have a pattern, it is inspired from the SBS News background. Most tables don't have any inlay and it would be a boring world if we just all did the same. I did consider the figure and how nice it is but this is a contemporay piece and in real life it looks better than the photo. I did limit the amount if inlay so as to not detract too much from the book matched natrual figure. There is no plans to do the same on the draw at this stage but that could change.:D:D

SB

Superbunny
5th August 2012, 09:33 PM
Sorry nothing new this week, I did some work and photographed it ready and then left my camera on the car boot in the garage. You gessed it, I drove off with still on the car and have not seen it since. Guess who just purchased a new camera on ebay. Yes a $400 odd mistake that I hope not to repeat in a hurry. Will redo photos during the week and update.:D:D

SB

spokeshave
5th August 2012, 10:18 PM
Bugger!!! Got to hate that. :doh:

Looking forward to some more pics.

Interesting top i must say. I like the border inlay but not so sure about the pattern. But as you say, it might look better in the flesh.

Keep up the good work.

Steven.

Christos
6th August 2012, 09:07 AM
Bugger about your camera.

BenBrown
6th August 2012, 11:42 PM
loving the inlay design keep up the work:2tsup:

Superbunny
11th September 2012, 10:13 PM

Hi, I'm back at long last. I have just got a new camera and done some work on the draw unit. I've inlayed sheoak on the corners for a bit of a lift. Had a bugxer of a time getting the miters right but got there in the end.:D:D

SB

dr4g0nfly
12th September 2012, 06:40 AM
Will you guy's in the front sit down, I'm having trouble peering over your shoulders!

We have a guy here in the UK who sell timber with grain patterns like your table top - he advertises them as 'Ghosts'.

Superbunny
12th September 2012, 09:47 PM
I'm the one who woodworks. (old tribal workshop saying)

SB

Superbunny
16th September 2012, 09:53 PM
More work today, I got the double mortise and tenon joints cut on my Leigh mortise and tenon jig, the first time I've done a double and I must say it went reasonable smooth. The pic shows a joint but it has not been cleaned up yet and the second shows a very quick assembly with the legs to give you an idea of how it goes together. Enjoy:D:D

SB

Christos
17th September 2012, 08:21 AM
Thank you for the update. :2tsup:

Superbunny
20th October 2012, 09:43 PM
Well guys, I've been out of the loop on this one but I have my reasons such as I've redone some of the previous work as I was not happy with it in the end. The draw unit only gave me a small depth draw so I remade it. I have also done some work on the legs to give them some nice highlights with sheoak. I did my first dovetail draw with an angled side of 15 degrees made from Masters Red Oak , I think Red Oak is the name given for anything you don't have a name for. I will glue it up with the base tomorrow. Enjoy:D:D

SB237734237735237736237737

Christos
21st October 2012, 08:52 AM
Well guys, I've been out of the loop on this one but I have my reasons such as I've redone some of the previous work as I was not happy with it in the end. The draw unit only gave me a small depth draw so I remade it......

Now that dedication.

Superbunny
28th October 2012, 10:13 PM
Well we are getting near the end on this project only a few things to do before the final sanding starts. Got the draw finished and set up the dowels to mount the draw unit on. I have done some work with making the draw slides but no phots yet.:D:D

SB238710238711238712238713238714238715238716

3 toed sloth
29th October 2012, 05:23 AM
Very nice SB, daring design, good to see, you're certainly not taking the easy way out. Don't forget the top though:U

Christos
29th October 2012, 06:56 PM
It is turning out to be an interesting variation to a hall table.

Superbunny
22nd December 2012, 03:06 PM
Well guys, I've had some problems with this build and the latest is about 4 weeks ago when I was ready to put the top on I noticed that it had twisted in the sun that come through my workshop window. I guess a lesson learnt there i.e. don't leave a finished unattached top in the sun and expect it to OK when you come back later. I've had it under some load for a couple of weeks now and it has inproved a little. You will probabbly pick it up in the pics. I'm off to Jordan and Egypt for a month so I'll see what it looks like then. I have some more Qld Maple to make another top but it does not have the figure that this one does. I've taken some pics for you of what it should look like when finished. I have not attached the top to the draw unit and still have some shellac to finish. Any how all the best for the season, enjoy.:D:D

SB

artme
22nd December 2012, 06:53 PM
Think I nodded offf during the WIP SB. but what a very pleasant surprise to wake to!!

Beautiful workpersonship and a beautiful table!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

TTIT
22nd December 2012, 11:02 PM
Well it didn't happen overnight . . . . but it did happen . . . . . eventually :;. Well done SB :2tsup: