PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws ?

nz_carver
15th July 2012, 10:59 PM
Hey all I'm thinking of upgrading my 14" bandsaw
When I got it I got it to cut out my woodcarving blanks
And it works fine but I have a love for doing big turnings and my little 14" just can't do it:no:

I'm not rushing to buy one just looking for some info and then I will have a number I have to save for

vk4
16th July 2012, 12:04 AM
Look in HAND TOOLS & MACHINARY, there is a thread dedicated to bandsaws.

Jeff
vk4

Claw Hama
16th July 2012, 01:19 AM
Hi NZ, I got a BP 355 from Hare & Forbes a few weeks back. So far so good, love it really, I'm using it way more than I did my old one. Price was pretty reasonable too $890 inc gst and only $46 to have it delivered to Newcastle.

issatree
16th July 2012, 03:12 AM
Hi NZ,
For around $100 ? you can buy a " Riser Kit ". Maybe that may do you. I know of a couple down this way, & I never heard of anyone complaining.
Worth an ask.

brendan stemp
16th July 2012, 10:06 AM
I am so glad I have my 17" bandsaw. You know the one Dave, it was at You Turn. Not the best as far as quality but it has done the job for me for a few years now. I think the Jet bandsaws are the best for quality and would certainly consider them if I had my time over. Their construction is that much better than the others on the market. I think all the others are the same machines with different labels on them, Carbatec, Hare and FOrbes, Leda (this is what I have)etc, but not sure about Woodfast. Woodfast would be my second choice from what I have seen of them.

I would always recommend a big bandsaw if you can afford it, but, having said that haven't had too many occasions when I needed the 19" version.

Another option is to look at an older solid cast bandsaw. They present a few problems with 3 phase motors and few safety features but they sure are so much more robust than any of the ones manufactured now.

nz_carver
16th July 2012, 10:32 AM
I'm looking at the BP-470 from hear and forbs
It's the same as what we have at the club

Paul39
16th July 2012, 12:01 PM
See: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/hare-forbes-vs-carb-tec-bandsaws-125595/

Look around for a big cast iron monster if you have the room. Motors can be changed or a variable frequency drive fitted to run a 3 phase motor from single phase mains. Also provides variable speed.

TTIT
16th July 2012, 02:36 PM
.......... a love for doing big turnings and my little 14" just can't do it:no:
.............a number I have to save forDepends on your idea of 'big' but a 280mm cutting height won't make very big blanks if you want to rip logs or burls to get them. If that number you want to save for can go far enough you couldn't go past the Powermatic 1800 (http://www.gregmach.com/Machinery/Bandsaws/PM1800.html)with it's 460mm cutting height :cool:. You can convert just about anything into just about anything with this little darlin' - burls sliced into platter blanks - or even veneers if you so inclined - you name it! Mine is in Jet colours and the only plastic on the sucker is the on/off switch - love it to pieces :U (Polished the table again yesterday :B )

dai sensei
16th July 2012, 07:50 PM
... Powermatic 1800 with it's 460mm cutting height :cool:.

oooooh yeh :tongueroll:

Just need a sliding infeed/outfeed table to help with those bigger pieces :U:U

TTIT
16th July 2012, 07:57 PM
oooooh yeh :tongueroll:

Just need a sliding infeed/outfeed table to help with those bigger pieces :U:U
Under construction as we speak . . . . . . if you count drawing it up in Sketchup :B

NeilS
17th July 2012, 11:21 AM
On the bandsaw size required to do most of the things that most of us do in woodturning, unless you are milling logs down in preparation for blank cutting, a 12" (or 280mm) high cut will do most jobs. Even the largest diameter bowl/platter will rarely be more than 12" deep. And, on the rare occasions that you do have a larger blank that is deeper than that your chainsaw will readily handle it.

If you cut on the 'out-board' side of the blade you are not restricted by your BS throat size. The max diameter that most bandsaws will cut is only limited by how big you make your 'out-board' table extension. This will allow most bandsaws to cut bowl blanks as large as most lathes can handle.

A 2.0hp motor will readily handle 12" deep cuts if the right blade is selected.

If you have the space and the good fortune to have a very large old cast iron bandsaw come your way, grab it. It may take a day or so to fit out and tune up, but once done it will see you out.

If an old cast iron monster doesn't happen to come your way and you intend to mill logs as well as cut blanks (and have a lazy $4.5K hanging about with nothing better to do) then the Powermatic 1800 would be very nice, but an 18" 3hp Leda, or similar, will do if you don't get too ambitious with milling large logs.

I wrestled to tune a new 17" Carbatec purchased by the local men's shed. Got there eventually, but it was a challenge. Maybe just a lemon. Ern has said that he hasn't been thrilled with his Woodfast. My Leda has been good from day one, but I could have just lucked in with it.

KBs PensNmore
18th July 2012, 08:29 PM
I find the Leda an excellent machine, although mine is medium in size, it handles everything I can throw at it. After sales service is fantastic also, which is another important factor, no point in buying a machine if the supplier can't/won't back it up with service or parts.:2tsup:
Kryn

orraloon
18th July 2012, 09:15 PM
My old bandsaw was 14'' and now my new one is 14'' also. It is however 2HP and does 10'' deep cut. I can do as large blanks as my lathe can handle. I toyed for a while cutting round turning bkanks but on a practical level octagonal blanks are a lot less time and kinder to saw blades. I use compasses to draw a circle and just knock off the corners.
I am glad I updated the bandsaw but for turning blanks a chainsaw will do also.
Regards

NeilS
19th July 2012, 11:26 AM
....on a practical level octagonal blanks are a lot less time and kinder to saw blades

Good point.

And, even eight sides aren't always needed. If I'm turning green I'll more often than not mount the half log as it is and turn to round. Just turn slowly until it becomes balanced. Time to do that is about the same time as cutting to round on the bandsaw before mounting, so a matter of preference*, although woods that tend to split benefit from being sawn to round (or near round) first.

* If you burn your off-cuts in a wood heater you may prefer to trim before mounting.

Paul39
19th July 2012, 12:52 PM
Good point.

And, even eight sides aren't always needed. If I'm turning green I'll more often than not mount the half log as it is and turn to round. Just turn slowly until it becomes balanced. Time to do that is about the same time as cutting to round on the bandsaw before mounting, so a matter of preference*, although woods that tend to split benefit from being sawn to round (or near round) first.

* If you burn your off-cuts in a wood heater you may prefer to trim before mounting.

I do the above and heat with solar & wood. I stuff my chips in grocery bags and put them in the boiler, usually on the overnight load. The chips burn like a cigarette for hours.