PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 90 questions

leeko
17th July 2012, 06:04 AM
Hi all,
So, my PM90 clean-up / tear-down is now underway, albeit slowly. When I bought it, I was aware that it made a little more noise and vibration than is ideal. Over the last couple of weekends, I hooked up and mounted the VFD and control box. Finally got everything working last night. Now, it's time to figure out the source of the noise :)

I took the belt cover off, and removed the v-belt. It's a wider one than I'm used to - anyone know the size or type of this for replacements? Or, can I use a regular 1/2" red link belt in it's place?

Once I had the belt off, I played with the reeves drive sheaves. On the spindle pulley, the movable portion of the sheave (sheaf?) has about 0.5-1cm of play around the circumference of the spindle - I can rotate it a small amount by hand with the spindle fixed. Doing so recreates the same "clunking" sound I get when the lathe is running.
Is this small amount of play normal, or would it potentially account for the clunking/vibration I'm getting? Any idea how to fix it? I'm guessing I need to take the headstock cover off, and there'll be a setscrew to tighten or similar, but haven't yet figured out what to unbolt to get access to it :)

I know that spindle bearing replacements are also in my imminent future, but I'll need to save my pennies before I can make that happen. I'm not sure the bearings are the source of the problem, though - spinning the spindle manually with the belt removed is smooth and silent.

Are there other bearings in the headstock that will likely need replaced? I've read something about v/s roller and v/s roller bearings, but I'm not sure exactly what they are or whether to tell if they need replaced.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the multiple questions,

Lee

vk4
17th July 2012, 10:36 AM
Leeko,

could you post some pictures , of the machine and what you have done so far.

I do not think that there should be any movement in the SHEEVES(Pulley), and think this should be investigated first,..

If the shaft runs smoothly and has no side or end play , leave it alone, just to check , borrow an engineers dial gauge and stand and measure any throw/end play in the shaft,

If the belt is worn , replace with a belt of the same type, link belts, may not cut the grass.

Hope this helps

Jeff
vk4

leeko
18th July 2012, 06:22 AM
Hi,

Here are a few pics of what I'm seeing. Having played with it a bit more, I believe the play is in the outboard-side bearing - I don't see any set screw or similar for the inner reeves sheave (at least not outside the headstock) The pictures show the amount of play (in a clock-face orientation - there's no fore-aft or up/down/side play at all).

With the spindle locked, it's possible to move the sheave (with the blue tape attached) about 2-3 degrees. Not sure how much of a problem it is, but wondering whether it's the source of the vibration.

There's also some fore-aft play in the motor arbor - maybe 5mm or so. With the belt off, and the motor running, there's a very small amount of vibration - just detectable that the machine's running. With the belt on and the spindle turning, the vibration level goes up by a lot.

Is there any way to get inside the headstock? The user manual shows an exploded headstock diagram but no instructions how to get inside. It seems like a solid piece of iron...

Also, is there any way to tell the model of the outboard-side bearing without taking the reeves mechanism off? I'd rather just tear this down once, with new bearings in hand, if at all possible!

Thanks again,

Lee