PDA

View Full Version : Lucas vs Woodmizer

gpigeon
18th July 2012, 09:15 AM
A friend/neighbour of mine has just purchased a 35hp diesel Woodmizer. I have not actually seen the m/c yet but I have to admit that the video clips look impressive. Very automated and easy to use.

I am a Lucas user....not exactly a fan but I am well aware of the shortcomings of the swing blade design.

Have any of you guys seen both machines in operation. How do they compare?

a) Ease of use?
b) bandsaw vs circular?
c) pulling of the log (a major problem with the Lucas)
d) other comments?

thanks.
Bill.

MAPLEMAN
18th July 2012, 10:24 PM
A friend/neighbour of mine has just purchased a 35hp diesel Woodmizer. I have not actually seen the m/c yet but I have to admit that the video clips look impressive. Very automated and easy to use.

I am a Lucas user....not exactly a fan but I am well aware of the shortcomings of the swing blade design.

Have any of you guys seen both machines in operation. How do they compare?

a) Ease of use?
b) bandsaw vs circular?
c) pulling of the log (a major problem with the Lucas)
d) other comments?

thanks.
Bill.In my opinion....the Lucas rules....they will snort through the crankiest of grain with ease,maintenance is simplistic,blade and chain sharpening a breeze,fully mobile...and can produce a first class product(s).....and reasonably priced....the only shortcomings it may have, is its operator!....... :2tsup:

Sigidi
18th July 2012, 11:22 PM
I love my Lucas, I reckon its the best thing since sliced bread, onto my second now and been using one for close to a decade now - asked a heap of things of it and each tme it has delivered.

My impression of the bandsaw mills is that they require an even steeper learning curve than a lucas, are much less forgiving with blade tolerances - much less and also will have a tough time with our 'hard' woods.

Having said all this, it's just my impressions and someone like Nifty would be better suited to answer woodmizer questions. I've was lucky enough to try the best first time round :oo::2tsup:

Oh and for the record, just want to put it out there again (been awhile) I'm so DanG pleased a pair of Aussie lads decided to get together and nut out a Lucas mill - slicing just recently has been just magical (pity my mug is too ugly for ya all to see how big my smile is from milling)

tlbsg
18th July 2012, 11:38 PM
if the green ones the best how come shes not electric rise and fall:rolleyes:

Sigidi
19th July 2012, 08:37 AM
Just cause I want something different/changed doesn't make it worse than the competition.:rolleyes:
Mind you dunno if I should go the electric rise and fall way as in all the years of the shootout the electric rise and fall hasn't beaten the Lucas yet:2tsup:

milwise
19th July 2012, 01:37 PM
if the green ones the best how come shes not electric rise and fall:rolleyes:

I have no real knowledge on the woodmizer, but one of the things Lucas has done well is "Keep It Simple". It makes a quality affordable, easy to operate portable sawmill. Thats why they are so successful.
Yes it would be great to have electric rise and fall, automated cutting and all the other bells and whistles. Those machines are out there, but they sure as hell are not in the same affordability range as the Lucas.

rustynail
19th July 2012, 03:40 PM
I have a Lucas and a band mill. The main use for the bandsaw is cutting high value timber as it has a thin kerf. When cutting thin slabs the Lucas wastes a lot of valuable timber. For on site general work it is hard to beat the Lucas, easy to set up, easy to use, cheap and quick to sharpen. I guess it depends on what you are cutting.

MAPLEMAN
19th July 2012, 05:17 PM
I have a Lucas and a band mill. The main use for the bandsaw is cutting high value timber as it has a thin kerf. When cutting thin slabs the Lucas wastes a lot of valuable timber. For on site general work it is hard to beat the Lucas, easy to set up, easy to use, cheap and quick to sharpen. I guess it depends on what you are cutting.Highly figured timber(interlocked/fiddleback etc) can be quite a challenge for Bandsaws,unlike a Lucas,that will slice through it without deviating...you don't get more highly prized timber than that with fiddleback/curly grain,so i don't understand your arguement at all....as for a reduced kerf using a Bandsaw,it means nothing if you have re-dress a board because the cut has wandered all over the place...a Lucas is very suitable for milling high value timber...always has been,always will be...:2tsup:

gumred
19th July 2012, 06:44 PM
Highly figured timber(interlocked/fiddleback etc) can be quite a challenge for Bandsaws,unlike a Lucas,that will slice through it without deviating...you don't get more highly prized timber than that with fiddleback/curly grain,so i don't understand your arguement at all....as for a reduced kerf using a Bandsaw,it means nothing if you have re-dress a board because the cut has wandered all over the place...a Lucas is very suitable for milling high value timber...always has been,always will be...:2tsup:

Well said!

rustynail
19th July 2012, 07:47 PM
There are bandsaws and there are bandsaws. A poorly set up bandsaw is a PITA. A well tuned bandsaw with a good operator and a good blade is far more practicle for expensive timber. If you cant see my point I can only assume you havent had much to do with bandsaws. To slab up a log with a chainsaw type attachment is pretty wastefull to say the least. Shaw, its easy to just cut away but the difference in kerf thickness becomes pretty expensive if your cutting thinnish material out of large logs.
I have nothing against swing blades. In fact, I consider them one of the best things to come along in years. Simple, easy to use and very portable. But when it comes to cutting 28mm through and through slabs, the idea of loosing a board every 4th or 5th board has no appeal what so ever.
If I suggested to some of my customers I was gong to cut slabs for them with the Lucas I doubt I would see them again. Some of the logs have cost big money and a pile of sawdust you cant jump over at the end of the day doesnt inspire them one bit. And I dont blame them.

Acco
19th July 2012, 08:10 PM
I have to agree with rustynail here, I've got a Lucas and also have access to 2 Woodmizers of which are well setup with experienced operators and they regalurly cut high figure timber etc and they handle the stuff no worries. In saying all that, they sharpen and set their own blades on site as well and know when to change blades over before they go fully blunt and start causing probs.

MAPLEMAN
19th July 2012, 08:13 PM
There are bandsaws and there are bandsaws. A poorly set up bandsaw is a PITA. A well tuned bandsaw with a good operator and a good blade is far more practicle for expensive timber. If you cant see my point I can only assume you havent had much to do with bandsaws. To slab up a log with a chainsaw type attachment is pretty wastefull to say the least. Shaw, its easy to just cut away but the difference in kerf thickness becomes pretty expensive if your cutting thinnish material out of large logs.
I have nothing against swing blades. In fact, I consider them one of the best things to come along in years. Simple, easy to use and very portable. But when it comes to cutting 28mm through and through slabs, the idea of loosing a board every 4th or 5th board has no appeal what so ever.
If I suggested to some of my customers I was gong to cut slabs for them with the Lucas I doubt I would see them again. Some of the logs have cost big money and a pile of sawdust you cant jump over at the end of the day doesnt inspire them one bit. And I dont blame them.You are missing my point old mate....when it comes to milling 'CRANKY' grain,you can't beat a Lucas...i have milled some very,very figured logs in my time...none of which i would trust using a Bandsaw...i don't know anyone who cuts 28mm through and through slabs....the only expensive species that may be a consideration is Red Cedar..but it is as soft as butter!!.......i have milled more curly grain logs than most millers have had hot dinners...and the Lucas delivers,without exception everytime....i would rather have a little extra sawdust on the ground with the knowledge that the end product is going to turn out impeccable.....:2tsup:

Sigidi
19th July 2012, 09:05 PM
Thought no- one was talking bout slabbing to begin with though where we? and if we are comparing slabbing to bandsaw milling are you really slabbing 1.5m wide?

Acco
19th July 2012, 09:15 PM
Nup, I'm talking about general milling, cutting stuff up to 900mm on the Woodmizer, we use the 2.4mt slabber when we wanna cut the bigger stuff or break it down to fit on the Woodmizer

tlbsg
19th July 2012, 09:23 PM
Just cause I want something different/changed doesn't make it worse than the competition.:rolleyes:
Mind you dunno if I should go the electric rise and fall way as in all the years of the shootout the electric rise and fall hasn't beaten the Lucas yet:2tsup:
right again as you said there are there are owners and there are operators:)

MAPLEMAN
19th July 2012, 09:36 PM
So o.k.....what do you end up with when you mill a log into 28mm through and through slabs...a heap of backsawn material that has a very real chance of moving all over the place as it seasons:oo::C....crazy:doh:...and when it does warp and you then machine it flat...your not going to be left with much:no:....mill your 28mm out of the centre of the log,at least it will be on the quarter..but nowwhere else:no:...that's the beauty of the Lucas...you can change from blade to slabber in no time,and chase the quartersawn grain,which is the most stable and desirable :;.....:2tsup:

rustynail
20th July 2012, 01:51 PM
The 28mm material is Cedar and cut for a specific order. I would be an idiot to quarter cut it. As far as warping is concerned there has been no problem, we sticker to suit. Width of cut 1.540m. maximum.
I agree that most timber should be quartered for stability but figured cedar is an exception. There are others that also should be rift sawn to prevent splitting, crows ash for boat decking would be one example.
Again, a lot of sawdust for a little timber with a Lucas.

Stopper
24th July 2012, 11:00 AM
I cut a lot of 325x50 on my bandsaw for the staircase market. The big advantage of a bandsaw is being able to cut the majority of the log into this size with very little left over as fall down sizes.

Cheers
Steve

Sigidi
28th July 2012, 10:59 AM
Can you explain that please steve? Cant get my head around it...

Bushmiller
28th July 2012, 08:26 PM
Can you explain that please steve? Cant get my head around it...

Al

I would imagine that Steve constantly rotates the log just taking a single slice from each face.

But I have just done my usual trick of butting in so back to Steve for this one:).

Bushmiller
28th July 2012, 10:27 PM
On the subject of circular swing saws and bandsaws, there are very definite pluses and minuses for both types of machine.

I think the big advantage of the Lucas mill is it is both affordable and forgiving. It allows you to get on with the business of milling timber. It has some advantages that are not met by any other type of saw and that is the combination of portability and capability.

You could, if you were fit (a lot fitter than me) carry the saw into a virtually inaccessible area and mill a huge log. Of course, quite how you retrieve the sawn timber is another issue.

The saw is easy and cheap to sharpen on site with minimal loss of production. This comment is of course true for most of the swing saw mills.

The band saw has it's strengths too, but is a fickle creature requiring expensive sharpening machines (profiler) and a lot of knowhow both in sharpening and milling. For example, a particular blade may cut one species of timber successfully but not another.

My impression is that generally they are more expensive than the circular saws and at times, as others have already said, they can struggle with the denser hardwoods.

I started with a bandsaw and subsequently realised that it was not the best machine for my purpose and bought a swingsaw as well. It was most suited to the production of building timber.

Today I only have the bandsaw, not by choice, as it just happened that the circular saw found a buyer first.

Regards
Paul