PDA

View Full Version : Jury duty

AlexS
10th March 2005, 03:10 PM
Recently received a summons to front for jury service yesterday - expected duration 4 weeks. Nothing wrong with that - being a fine upstanding citizen, I'd rather not, but realize that the system won't function without it (and there's a hefty fine if I don't front).

Rang the number the night before, and the recorded message tells me that I'm not required yesterday, but have to front today. OK, I guess I needn't have organised things about not being available yesterday, but it did give me a day I hadn't counted on in the workshop.

Fronted up today, along with about 100 other draftees, to be told that the trial was now estimated to be 5 weeks. Had an explanation of the courtroom and selection process, marked the roll and sat through a hammish 15 minute film about how important it is to be a juror.

After 2 hours, we were told, with no explanation, that we were no longer required. No 'Sorry, we stuffed up your day for no reason.' Just 'No pay because you were out of here before 1 o'clock. We'll send you a cheque for your travel allowance (based on distance as the crow flies).'

Now I don't mind doing my civic duty. I don't even mind that the daily payment (if you get it) is about what I'd make in 2 hours as a contractor. And I can understand that some potential jurors will be challenged and sent home. What p!sses me off is that we are all left standing around at our own (or employers') expense, because a bunch of highly paid lawyers and judges can't get their act together enough to decide that their case isn't prepared in time, or they are going to plead guilty after all, or there really was no case to answer, or yesterday's case ran overtime, or some other reason. If I'm expected to inconvenience myself so the justice system can function, surely there's some onus on those who run the system to do so efficiently.

End of rant.

Termite
10th March 2005, 03:26 PM
Alex, you are are a sensible bloke, don't you realise that the world revolves around solicitors barristers and judges, the rest of us are just trash. ;)

Iain
10th March 2005, 03:45 PM
Fortunately that is a torment I will never have to endure having worked for a particular Gov Dept for 20 years, seems that my opinions could be seen to be biased and I may influence other jury members re the defendants guilt, sorry, alleged guilt :rolleyes:

Sturdee
10th March 2005, 03:55 PM
Alex,

It must be different in NSW.

You are not called for a specific case but available for selection as need arises. I together with about 150 others went to the jury pool room from which jury panels of 27 were selected as required.

From such panel a jury is selected and the rest return to the pool room for possible further selection. Even if not selected you are paid your $ 36 a day for the first 6 days then $ 72 a day.

That day they required 8 juries and the whilst my trial proceeded each day they needed about 6 to 10 juries.

Peter

Daddles
10th March 2005, 05:54 PM
The reality of jury duty is that they spend hours telling you how important you are, and then treat you like ****. When you finally wind up on a case, you will know nothing and be treated like ****. The whole system revolves around the jury members, but the jury members have less consideration than the writing pads. Yes, I have done it. I was happy to do it. I was not happy with the low regard we are given. :mad:

Cheers
Richard

Sturdee
10th March 2005, 06:23 PM
Richard,

In the recent case I was on we were treated with the utmost respect and courtesy by the court staff and judge.

Melbourne's county court is in a new building with separate areas for jury pool members and jurors as to the general public. Once entered that area there are lounges with daily papers and coffee etc whilst waiting, separate lifts entering directly into your jury room area. No contact with the general rif raf.

Ofcourse other courts may differ.

Peter.

ozwinner
10th March 2005, 06:25 PM
God Bless Amer................Victoria.

Al :D

Zed
10th March 2005, 08:41 PM
I did jury duty 2 yrs ago, we did the same stuff that you did alex.

I got picked,
I was foreman,
we were there for 8 weeks.
man it was FUN!
luxury, sitting around,
short days,
goofing off,
taking a few notes,
eating free food,
debating what the friggin' imbicile did and whether we beleived his horse poop or not.

at the end I got to stand up and say "this mongrel is guilty" as did my 11 temporary anonymous friends. we sent the bastard down the river for 5 big ones. his mates had pled guilty so they got a "discount".

he didnt.

he got the whole shebang - couldnt of happened to a nicer guy - I touched the knife he used - there was a nice little 1 inch nick out of it - he left the nick in one of his victims (who took 6 months for his arm to recover)

it was nice doing ones duty.

that'll teach the bastard to stab people, make his family lie for him and rob students

I'll say it again; it was good.
I enjoyed it.
everyone should get a chance to do it.
I'd do it again.
you cant have a democracy if you dont stand up and be counted.
the bastard deserved it.

if he'da done it to my family i'da killed him myself - no regret, no remorse.

be proud. be a man. do your duty. dont shirk .

AlexS
10th March 2005, 08:51 PM
A few years ago I was on a six weeker - husband & wife bringing in drugs.
At the end, they got 20 years. They appealed & the crown appealed against the lightness of the sentence. Their appeal was knocked back, the crown's was upheld & it was upped to 26.

Sometimes there is justice.

craigb
10th March 2005, 09:06 PM
Currently I'm on the list of "you could be called". Hasn't happened yet.

If it does, I'll be happy to do my civic duty. Whether I enjoy it or not is a moot point though.

jackiew
11th March 2005, 10:44 AM
once shared a house with someone who did jury duty in the uk, at the end they had to let the jury out of the back way cos the family and friends of the recently convicted were believed to be waiting out the front to discuss the verdict with them. :eek:

If you get appointed to a nasty case it might be an idea not to wear your habitual clothes/hairstyle etc for the duration just in case you meet up with the defendant and/or his/her mates at a later date.

Zed
11th March 2005, 10:47 AM
once shared a house with someone who did jury duty in the uk, at the end they had to let the jury out of the back way cos the family and friends of the recently convicted were believed to be waiting out the front to discuss the verdict with them. :eek:

If you get appointed to a nasty case it might be an idea not to wear your habitual clothes/hairstyle etc for the duration just in case you meet up with the defendant and/or his/her mates at a later date.

We were at the sydney metro courthouse in central and we were always let ina dn out through the back door - policy...

Iain
11th March 2005, 10:47 AM
Which is why judges wear wigs.............

JackoH
11th March 2005, 11:04 AM
....and in England judges carry a posy of flowers(a nosegay) Because in the olden days the stink of unwashed bodies was awwwful!
(That's as far as I want to take that!)
Iain. At least you can't be called for jury duty again, for I think 10 years.

oges
11th March 2005, 11:38 AM
I'll have to remember to change my paper bag if I ever get called up for duty :D

Iain
11th March 2005, 01:15 PM
At least you can't be called for jury duty again, for I think 10 years.
I am exempt due to my having worked with undesirables, this applies to POlice, solicitors, prison staff etc etc.

silentC
11th March 2005, 01:33 PM
I must be exempt too then because I am an undesirable.

Zed
11th March 2005, 02:15 PM
I must be exempt too then because I am an undesirable.

I'll second that your honour!

when i was on jury duty whenever the professional liar mentioned something before the court (Ie asked a quesiton of a witness or pontificated some crap) we the jury were always in giggles as what we "heard" was "And another $50 your honour"...... Of course this being a reference to how the barrister charges in 7 min increments for thier time.... fits of giggles from us and nasty looks from the liars.

we were constantly in giggles as both the prosecuting liar and the defensive liar were such hams... whenever one of them said something to us (eg the defensive liar) wnet on about how the defendant was of "such good character... blah blah" the prosecuting liar would give the jury a rolled eyes or huff of breath or other signal that signified "this guy is full of $hit" etc....

DanP
12th March 2005, 12:03 AM
, surely there's some onus on those who run the system to do so efficiently.

:D X 10 gazillion

Thanks for the laugh.

hilux
7th September 2005, 10:26 AM
Same thing happend to me, not bad, not so great either.
That was a year ago, so now I'm just waiting to get called up again :(

Daddles
7th September 2005, 10:56 AM
Seeing this thread has been resurrected, and we're taking shots at Lawyers, I thought you might enjoy today's Dilbert.

Richard

boban
7th September 2005, 07:44 PM
Seeing this thread has been resurrected, and we're taking shots at Lawyers, I thought you might enjoy today's Dilbert.

Richard

Yes, I've read that. Now where do I send my memorandum of fees?

echnidna
7th September 2005, 08:53 PM
To Richard obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ozwinner
7th September 2005, 08:59 PM
Looky here.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

Al :(

silentC
8th September 2005, 08:52 AM

Richard
Having recently been through an unpleasant work-related experience with someone else's solicitor, I can only say I hope that dolphin had a very sharp nose.