PDA

View Full Version : Secret nailing t&g boards with Finnish nail gun

Chris woodwork
19th July 2012, 10:07 AM
Hi guys,
I'm wanting to secret nail and glue engineered t&gboards onto chipboard. As its part of a long term house Reno, instead of spending money on hiring a secret nailer I wanted to instead purchase a nail gun and compressor that I will be able to use during the project on other things. Can any one suggest a type of nail gun suitable and any tricks that I'll need to know to create a good job!
From what I've been reading a Finnish nail gun might be suitable. Any ideas how to make sure the boards are tight together before nailer like a secret nailer does. Many thanks for your time

rod1949
19th July 2012, 10:48 AM
Whats wrong with just a good old fashion hammer:2tsup:

Handyjack
19th July 2012, 06:13 PM
Use a floor clamp or 'cramp'. You may be able to hire a pair.

shedman
19th July 2012, 06:29 PM
The secret nailer cramps the boards as you go so it is the easiest and quickest way to go. When I laid my floor 16 years ago I used joist cramps and drilled a hole for each nail - 1 on each joist. When I helped my neighbour with his extension we hired a secret nailer and the job was up to 10 times faster. If you do use a secret nailer make sure the compressor pressure is not too high or you will split some boards. To secret nail there is no shortcut to laying one board at a time. i would buy a compressor and standard nail gun but hire a secret nailer for the floor. You can lay quite a big area in a day.

good luck

Chris woodwork
21st July 2012, 12:25 PM
HI Guys,
Thanks for your advice.
Sadly i also have time restraints so an old fashion nail and hammer trick won't quiet do.
Thanks for the advice re floor clamps. I had some fantastic advice to lay 3mm ply strips over the chipboard and nail the boards onto those, basically mimicing the floor joists and reducing the possibilty of sqeaks. awesome advice!

Thankyou for the help guys overall im very impressed by this communtiy of woodworkers!

CHeers

Chris