PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Concrete Blocks in Half

jlamplough
10th March 2005, 05:21 PM
I have half a dozen Split-Face Boral Besser Concrete blocks that I need to cut in half. So far I've been using a Circular Saw with a masonary blade, however it doesn't have the required cutting depth for this particular cut. I'm trying to avoid hiring a Brick Saw (about $140). Does anyone know somewhere I can pay to have them cut? I'm in Sydney. (West Suburbs).

Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

bitingmidge
10th March 2005, 05:48 PM
It'd be cheaper just to buy half a dozen half blocks!

cheers,

P :cool:

Gaza
10th March 2005, 06:10 PM
go to a building site with a case of beer. (oh yea make sure they have a brick saw before u offer the beer)

ozwinner
10th March 2005, 06:48 PM
Try here. (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/searchEntry.do;jsessionid=8mpmsga76de49.yp2002_22124)

Al

namtrak
10th March 2005, 07:31 PM
go to a building site with a case of beer. (oh yea make sure they have a brick saw before u offer the beer)

Absolutely the way to go

jlamplough
11th March 2005, 09:15 AM
It'd be cheaper just to buy half a dozen half blocks!

cheers,

P :cool:
I would do this except Boral has told me it could be a 3 week lead time since they actually cut these ones to order.

I'd considered the building site option, however I was hoping to do it this saturday but haven't seen many of the brickies working near us on a Sat.

adrian
11th March 2005, 09:34 AM
I had to cut a hole in a brick wall to fit a window and was going to hire a wet saw. It was going to cost $140 for half a day plus any excessive wear to the diamond blade.
I bought a cheap Ozito 230mm angle grinder and 4 masonry disks for about $110. It took a lot longer to do the job and made a lot more mess but it was a good option for me when you consider the amount of work that grinder has had to do since that job.

jlamplough
11th March 2005, 10:54 AM
I had to cut a hole in a brick wall to fit a window and was going to hire a wet saw. It was going to cost $140 for half a day plus any excessive wear to the diamond blade.
I bought a cheap Ozito 230mm angle grinder and 4 masonry disks for about $110. It took a lot longer to do the job and made a lot more mess but it was a good option for me when you consider the amount of work that grinder has had to do since that job.
I checked this out. The problem is that a 230mm angle grinder only gives a cutting depth of about 75mm. (Same as my circular saw). I need to cut through 200mm, so this is not enough depth. (Even after scoring the block on both sides and then using a bolster is not giving a clean break.)

adrian
11th March 2005, 11:43 AM
You didn't specify what depth of cut you needed in your post so I had to make the suggestion.
Have you tried a stonemason. People who make grave stones would be cutting some stone that's a lot tougher than yours and it might be a case of hot knife through butter. Give them a call and you might find that they'll take a few dollars per block.

mic-d
11th March 2005, 12:24 PM
I checked this out. The problem is that a 230mm angle grinder only gives a cutting depth of about 75mm. (Same as my circular saw). I need to cut through 200mm, so this is not enough depth. (Even after scoring the block on both sides and then using a bolster is not giving a clean break.)
Instead of just scoring the brick, cut it to full depth all round with the saw and then crack it with a bolster. Clean up the cut face with a diamond blade on the angle grinder.
I hope you have tolerantneighbours who don't mnind all the cement dust you generate!
Cheers
Michael

jlamplough
22nd March 2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks to all who replied.

I ended up using the 9inch angle grinder with a diamond blade which worked very well. It cuts much better than a circular saw with a masonary blade,

Cheers,
Jeremy.