PDA

View Full Version : Cross country ski touring

rsser
21st July 2012, 10:51 PM
To get a good day out there has to have somewhat better odds than the pokies and crikey the payoff if it happens is gold.

Had a day punting around Rocky Knobs on the Bogong High Plains today and the Angel Gabriel must've touched me on the shoulder before starting out.

Firm base; sugar snow; bluebird sky. No one else out there; had a hemisphere to myself.

Nothing beats that. I can die happy.

John Saxton
23rd July 2012, 09:10 PM
Good to hear that you had a great run on the white stuff Ern, sadly lacking over here besides the knees are not up to scratch....bloody football! :(

Heard you folk have had some good fall of snow in parts.

Cheers:)

Horsecroft88
24th July 2012, 04:06 PM
Hi Rsser sounds like a perfect day on the snow, good to hear that you are back on it again. I am still waiting for a proper snowfall to occur here in Tassie. I have skiied pretty much every year since I was 18, (that is 35 years !!). Mind you mostly down hill rather than cross country. Last year I had the aweful luck of breaking my leg on day one of a ski trip to Hotham !!, before I even had got on the snow. Was litterally 20-30 feet away from it. :doh: So this year if nothing else we will be going to NZ for 6 days on the snow (South Island), Mt Hutt, Porters, as well as Queenstown fields. Just hope they have snow, as we won't be there until 1st week of Sept.

I have to say though, I know exactly what you mean re the peace and quiet on a bluebird day, especially when away from all. Some years back I went cross country skiing up around the back of Mt Field (Mawson), with my parents etc, and likewise had one of those days. Similarly had a few other cross country experiences with mates. Pure magic.

Might even get to strap on my Dad's cross country skis this year, if it snows, and have a trip out with a mate. Dad has finally accepted his skiing days are over. Pity for him, as both Mum and Dad loved this. Nothing better than being up in the mountains !! :2tsup:

rsser
24th July 2012, 08:49 PM
John, yeah, those early 'play hard' days exact a price later on :-\

With the good lord's help, and more especially the physio's (!) I can still get out there.

And yes, the early falls have been full and the o/n temps low enough to preserve them. Backcountry, we're skiing on frost til after midday.

HC, I dips me lid to you,skiing in Tas. But what a downer to slip on the Hotham ice (?) ... you wouldn't be the first believe me.

NZ should knock you out (metaphorically). The scenery is just fabulous. And in a good season there'll be skiable snow to late Sept./early Oct. on the South Island.

Shout yourself a ski plane drop-off and pick-up on the Tasman glacier ... worth every penny.

Well I hooked up with a never-before-met ski forum acquaintance today, another old phart, and we did a tour of the back country and had a ball. Hero snow.

Horsecroft88
24th July 2012, 10:01 PM
Hi Ern love the pic, just wish we might get some snow. I l ow what you mean re my minor injury last year, broken ankle was a bit of a shame. I actually had one ski on it, broken. There was some pain, wasn't quite convinced or didn't want to admit to myself it was over before it had started. Oh well at least it feels strong now. Yep know what you mean re down here, but at least on a good year it actually can be pretty good down here. Just need Huey ho do his part. Yep been quite a few times to NZ so know how great it can be. Like your thinking re heli skiing on the Tas glacier, suspect it could be a grt option. Have always wanted to do something like that.

rsser
24th July 2012, 10:26 PM
Touring the Tas. was on my bucket list. Had a guide set up for 5 days of camping in one of the huts. But weather and other things were against us so we just did a bit of touring over one day, piggy-backing on a yo-yo plane. Was a knock-out (see my website link below for an account).

Have read stories of XC touring on Du Cane Range down your way. Damn, that's bucket list material as well. (Prob. get flown out in one now given my years, darnit.)

rsser
4th August 2012, 05:25 PM
Got out for a 3 day tour on the High Plains. Pack hauling hasn't happened for years but the ageing body stood up to it well enough.

A few pics off the phone are here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30283858@N07/sets/72157630849726284/)