PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question - how to even out edges?

tompab
22nd July 2012, 07:51 PM
Hey.

I recently purchased my first power tools (and some other basic woodworks items) and used them for the first time today, yay :) Looking forward to learning more and being able to actually do stuff around the house by the time we can afford to buy instead of rent.

Anyway, I've cut a few pieces of wood into 24x24cm pieces. They are not too bad for a first try, but if I put them all together the edges do not align perfectly. So basically I want to even them out and also make sure they are completely straight.

What is the best way of doing this? Silly question perhaps, but we all have to start somewhere. I can try and sand them down I suppose, but seems like a lot of work and difficult to get it just right (unless I get an electric sander perhaps?).

I'm OK with adding some more basic power tools to my collection if required (currently have drill and circular saw), as long as they are useful/versatile and not overly big (we are space poor at the moment).

Thanks for the help!

AlexS
22nd July 2012, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope.
For what you're planning (and lots of other things) you need a hand plane. It's probably worthwhile getting a good 2nd hand one - old is good - that has been properly tuned or 'fettled'. I'd suggest you start with a #4 or #5.
Don't know if you have a traditional tools group equivalent up there, but I'm sure one of our Brisbane forum members will steer you in the right direction.

Daniel99
22nd July 2012, 09:33 PM
Hi Tom!

I'm a beginner like you, but have been learning as I go. I just finished building my first project (a workbench) and have learned a lot. If you have a vise or clamps, you can clamp the uneven boards in and use a plane like Alex said. I bought a (new) Stanley plane (unpowered) from Trade Tools (they have a few stores around the place) and that one is great for my needs. You just need to learn a small amount to operate them, and a bit more to sharpen them, and you'll be set for life.

The other option is your circular saw. You can clamp a straight board to the piece you want to cut, slide the circular saw along it, and get a pretty straight cut. If you want the cut surfaces to mate together perfectly, you'd probably still want to plane them, though.

I've made the mistake of trying to find tools at Bunnings. They simply don't have much beyond junk for the "I saw this guy on TV do it and now I wanna try" people, which is usually reasonably priced but poor quality (I've made that mistake too many times). Their wood also isn't the greatest. You can find the occasional useful item there for sure, but your best bet is to save time by not going there :-)

I'm currently looking around at places to buy wood, so keep in touch and I'll let you know if I find a good local one.

Daniel

tompab
23rd July 2012, 12:19 AM
Ah, didn't realise planes were still being used, only seen/used them at school :p

I've been looking at bunnings a lot too, but like you realized that it is not all that fantastic. Put in an order for various items from amazon today, much cheaper than locally and decent shipping.

Anyway, regarding the plane, would something like this be a good choice? It is not the #4 or #5 I don't think (not entirely sure what is meant by that), but it's cheap ($22) and got good reviews.
Stanley 220
Honing guide

Not sure how the prices would line up with buying locally as I've never looked at planes before, buy I suspect it is probably cheaper to just buy from amazon as usual ($12 combined shipping for the two items above).

vk4
23rd July 2012, 09:02 AM
Tompah,

The plane you have bid on , is called a block plane, and is only 125mm long, basically a small tool,

A No 4 plane is 200mm long, and the good one's have a cast steel body,.

when buying timber, that will depend on your location in Brisbane, Look under timber in the old yellow pages, ,

I buy from Bunnies , Janden Ply (Brendale), Lindsay Meyers (Redcliffe, for hoop pine),
and for hardwood I go to my local Demolition Yard.

Before you can do too much you will have to sort out what you want to build nad then the tools you will need, buy quality, it will last you for many years,.

I would recommend the following to buy,

1 Hand plane ,
2 wood chisels
3 marking gauge
4 good quality tape, & 30cm ruler
5 square,
6 Quantity of F clamps 100mm - ? how big you can go??

I could keep going but these would be a good start , add power tools as you can afford and find space.

I you have a look around you will find a local wood crafters club , join and they will teach you and give advise on which tools to buy.

Jeff
vk4

tompab
23rd July 2012, 07:19 PM
Tompah,

The plane you have bid on , is called a block plane, and is only 125mm long, basically a small tool,

A No 4 plane is 200mm long, and the good one's have a cast steel body,.

Ah ok. I haven't actually bought the block plane, but maybe a smaller one makes sense for me, I don't know. I'll think about it.

I've bought a bunch of other stuff the other day though, got a bit excited :) I've been going for the budget friendly items but from trusted brands at least, with the idea that they should last a long time with my low usage. That's my justification for buying all this stuff anyway :)

Here's some of the things I've ordered recently and are still waiting for, if anyone is curious. Been buying things I need for my current project but with the anticipation that it is stuff that I will have plenty more use for in the future. I also have a toolbox with some basic tools that are always needed for random things around the house.
Dewalt drill bits
Milwaukee driving bits
Square
Stanley storage box (for screws, nuts, bolts etc)
Bora edge clamp (to guide circular saw easier etc)
Dewalt safety glasses
Paint/safety mask

Here are the power tools I bought earlier. Also bought an awesome small folding bench for $20 from bunnings, it's really sturdy and perfect size/function for me, a great bargain and a nice surprise since I didn't expect much.
Bosch drill (http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_bosch-drill-corded-psb650_5873.aspx)
Makita circular saw (http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_714-185mm-1050w-makita-5806bsp-circular-saw-kit_1810.aspx)

Christos
24th July 2012, 04:59 AM
So far you have purchased a few items that will assist with producing straight cuts. Good luck on your first project the work bench.