PDA

View Full Version : My 3rd turning (1st lidded bowl)

Rowan
11th March 2005, 09:53 AM
Here are some pics of my first lidded bowl I have turned and only my 3rd bowl. And it only took about a litre of blood and 3 stiches, paring lid of and went toooooo deep for a short handled tool, tool caught and pulled my hand into the wood. (at least I know it was a clean sharp edge :rolleyes: )

Wood is Tassie Myrtle burl and finish is - sanded to 1500 (overkill???) followed by eee and finally shellawax cream.

ptc
11th March 2005, 10:47 AM
Worth the blood.

rsser
12th March 2005, 04:33 PM
Nice work Rowan, well done.

I don't think 1500 is overkill for fine-grained timber at all.

But what it's crying out for is a finial glued into the lid hole .. something black would be close to the current fashion ;-}

Rowan
14th March 2005, 09:30 AM
Ern

wish I could even contemplate a finial but personally I think they ruin the look of a lidded bowl.

Something to do with spending 3 years of my life living Japan I guess but I like simple lines.

Kris.Parker1
21st March 2005, 03:14 PM
Hey, nice job on the bowl with the lid. Keep up the good work. BTW - Keep posting images of your projects.

Derfys_World
26th March 2005, 12:30 AM
excellent work worth the blood and tears .i dont think 1500 is overkill i personally use the finest steel wool i can find after using the finest grade i have in the workshop.