PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw Burnt Out -need advise

barrysumpter
12th November 2000, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone,
Another one of my disposable power tools has finally burnt out. The one where I thought "I'll buy this cheap one until I decide I'll give woodworking a fair go".

It was a Ryobi HJ-50H. Picked it up at the hardwarehouse clearance sale for tools from another hwh locations closeing down sale.

$69 two years ago and it was working fine until I started cutting another toprail for another Lutiens garder bench from 1.25" Meribu Quila. It was really performing well on the first half of the right rail.

Shame on me !

Anyway does any one have a suggestion as to what jigsaw I should be using. I plan on using it to cut the same material only once or twice more. The rest of the time I'll be using it for small quick jobs or not at all.

I'm hoping that $AU250 will get me a really nice one.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

John Saxton
12th November 2000, 07:03 PM
G,day bazza,Do you have a Bandsaw?The range of blades available for most bandsaws can cut equally fine angles but not with the same flexiblity that a Jigsaw or Fretsaw will do.Or perhaps if upgrading consider either the Makita,Metabo or the better class of Jigsaw that has the ability to withstand the heavier workload.Just my thoughts.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 12 November 2000).]

barrysumpter
14th November 2000, 10:24 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for the reply John.

I've decided on the Ryobi 600w model at $196.00.

With the advise of "Everything at this wattage is pretty much the same" from JustTools and a Bunnings Tools expert who did know what he was talking about.

Everything else comparable was almost double the price.

I ran home and using the proper hardwood blade took my time and finished the right backrail in just under 15 mins.

Oh Yeah! No smoke and no burn.

Although the housing in the front around the motor was warm.

Does anyone know if cutting a 1.25" Meribu Kwila hardwood should make a 600w jigsaw housing hot to the touch?

I certainly don't mind cutting for 5 mins and then letting it cool if that's what I need to do.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

barrysumpter
15th November 2000, 07:04 AM
Hi all,
I spoke to the Bunnings expert. Who informed me that Jigsaws will warm around the motor and blade hammer housing. He also suggesed that I run for 2 mins then cool for 2 mins. (Since I always have cleaning and straightening up to do in the woodshop I didn't have a problem with this.)

He also suggested to use the correct blade for the job, let the the blade cut and set the pace, don't push, and just take your time.

Hope this serves as a timely reminder.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Jim Carroll
15th November 2000, 08:23 AM
Barry you will find on most jigsaws that have a metal cased gearbox that they do warm up a little bit. The motor section stays cool because their is a fan blowing air over it but nothing directed towards the gearbox, as to running for only 2 minutes at a time that is a worry if it overheats in this time their is something wrong and when I say overheat I mean too hot to handle. Most good quality jigsaws have a good duty cycle so they can run for some time without too much trouble as long as you have the correct blade for the job and if you have the reciprocating action set to the right setting you will cut just about anything. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Jim
Turn it up

STEPHEN MILLER
5th December 2000, 06:46 PM
Barry , If buying a new jig saw get one with orbital cutting action you can do bigger cuts cleaner and faster . With reference to running time on jigsaws etc most should have duty cycle time on them somewhere and if the man in Bunnings is quoting around two minutes he must be trying to sell you a GMC,NRG or Arlec or such like .I have a Lesto jigsaw made by Bosch and will cut for 10 mins gearbox gets warm but not hot jigsaw is 15 years old and still going strong only changes is a service ,changed gearbox grease and now run high temperature wheel bearing grease in it because the grease in a lot of power tools seems to get a bit stiff and hard with age .I run the same grease in my 4inch to 9 inch angle grinders works a treat.
So you need a jigsaw orbital action with a roller guide ,600 watts or more and variable speed if posible Happy shopping
regards Steve