PDA

View Full Version : Tent campers query

cultana
25th July 2012, 02:35 AM
I was looking at the Trading post and came across some nice tent campers being sold by E&Z Trading Pty Ltd of Campbellfield and they were cheaper than most others for a full system.

The thing that got me was the price for a complete trailer and the fact they ship to most capital cities and the price for that was not too high either.

The web site say the following "E&Z Trading Pty Ltd trading as ezytrail" and they have been around for 8 years.

Ok then thanks to an old thread here somewhere on the forum I remembered something about a particular person selling such items and no one either seeing the sold product or when it turned up not up to the contracted specs.

With out deliberately casting dispersions is this one of those business or is it fully above board.

Well a fully decked out off road tent trailer for about $6000 - $8000 including transport costs in my case seems a bit too good or am I just over reacting.

Thanks for any comments on this one.

The Bleeder
25th July 2012, 10:57 AM
Cultana,

I don't think you are over reacting only being extremely cautious. $6k to $8k is a lot to lose. Try cheching with the Vic authorities (fair trading in NSW) to see if they can give you any info.

Check the old thread about Southern Star Campers as I know there was a detective assigned to that case (could have been on another forum) ....anyway there are some links in that thread to the other forum. You may like to contact the detectives to see if they know anything. Just be cautious you don't need to be ripped off.

If all is ok then you will have done the right for yourself.

Big Shed
25th July 2012, 11:08 AM
Without in any way endorsing this company, I have purchased a large checker plate aluminium storage box for on the front of my camper trailer from them via Ebay.

They have 2 locations, Bayswater and Campbellfield. I dealt with the Bayswater site and had very good service from them, the initial box I purchased wasn't suitable for what I wanted and they cheerfully exchanged it for me.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ezy_machinary/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

While I was there I had a look at some of the tent trailers on display and they seemed quite good for what they cost, but I didn't closely inspect them as a prospective buyer would.

old pete
25th July 2012, 11:28 AM
HI Cultana,

Having done a bit of desert camping I think the old axiom that you get what you pay for applies. $6 to 8k is a pretty cheap camper trailer given that top of the market is close to $90k. I'd say please make sure the camper will do what you expect of it. It's pretty easy to put many thousands of $'s into the suspension and a few more into the hitch.If you are going to do any serious off bitumen road work you need to have both of those component sets rated to do the jib you want and I don't think you will get that for the $'s you quote. Having wheels that are common stud and tire with the vehicle wheels is a must and that's usually a few more quid.

I don't read 4 x 4 magazines but I have friends who do and I know from a casual glance from time to time at their reading material that's there an absolute plethora of comparisons has been done between the different rigs on offer that would give you a great starting point.

Have a great time in the red sand:roll::roll:. Old Pete

cultana
29th July 2012, 02:14 PM
Big Shed:
Thanks that is a form of relief.

Old Pete:
I realised that one gets what you pay for, hence my hesitation in jumping in with one from E&Z Trading Pty Ltd.

In my net wanderings I came across these artciles, so it just added to my ponderings re the E&Z Trading Pty Ltd ones:

Chinese camper trailer paradox by AMCTG on SEPTEMBER 14, 2011
http://www.australianmanufacturedcampertrailers.org.au/camper-trailer-articles/chinese-camper-trailer-article-paradox/

Unsafe Camper Trailers by AMCTG on SEPTEMBER 8, 2011
http://www.australianmanufacturedcampertrailers.org.au/camper-trailer-articles/unsafe-camper-trailers/

So I have gone for a local one made by Desert Sky from Adelaide. They seem to have a good write up with there off road caravans anyway. Yes it cost a lot more than the E&Z one but at least if something goes wrong I am not looking at dealing with someone interstate.

The only reservations I may have it is a soft floor vs hard floor. There are arguments both ways I suppose.
From my perspective a camper trailer solves pointing out to "the dear delicate one" a swag under a bush works quite well and associated different points of view.

damian
1st August 2012, 12:55 PM
For what it's worth we decided a tent trailer was not for us. Instead I've commissioned a teardrop trailer from hansvans.

Ours is unusual as it's got no kitchen, just an area for a queen matress (innerspring) and 18" area aft for storage, accessed from inside. We will fit a split system to it.

Anyway ours is costing about $7200. We looked at a standard hansvan here in brisbane. The chap who owned it, apparently on this forum, was very happy with it and said the quality was superior to others he'd considered.

Naturally the gentleman who offered to show us his was incredibly helpful and an all round great bloke, as you get here :)

Just another option, depending on what your trying to do.