PDA

View Full Version : To PAH1 Microwaving burr

R12chard
11th March 2005, 11:58 PM
I'll be finishing turning a burr vase type bowl like the attached but with lots of deep cuts in the side to so that when I nuke it the layers will warp, and hollowed at the same width as the entry. I've had instruction on how to nuke it but was just wondering what to finish it with? Would a soft wax be suitable or just leave it finely sanded?http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65k/birch_hollow_form.jpg

rsser
12th March 2005, 04:36 PM
Suggest something liquid like Rustin's Danish Oil. Can be applied off the lathe.

Wax will build up in the grooves.

Jeff
13th March 2005, 03:24 AM
If yer finish is microwave friendly, such as a wax, you could nuke it after it's applied and the buildup in the cracks (mentioned above) can be induced to "melt" in. As always, give it a test run first, and consider whether heating the finish could create an explosive gas! I've done this before and it worked well....not the explosion part.....!!! :D

PAH1
15th March 2005, 09:41 AM
Sorry for the delay, off air for a few days

I use oil on burls, saves all the tedium with the cracks and usually finishes very well. I use Organoil High speed finishing oil, but other have other preferences. Lokks an interesting bit of wood however.

R12chard
16th March 2005, 12:03 AM
Keep your eye on this thread as I'll post pics of the finished article in a couple of days, not to bad a result!

R12chard
19th March 2005, 12:11 AM
The finished article.

Next time I get my hands and chisels on some wet burr I willhave another go I liked the results.

Richard

gatiep
19th March 2005, 01:27 AM
Yikes!

Is it finish?

:)

R12chard
19th March 2005, 05:01 AM
Tis finished and the 20 or so people I've shown it to absoluly love it! granted the pictures don't do it justice.

Richard

rsser
19th March 2005, 12:00 PM
Great work; no slavish copying of other people's style here!