PDA

View Full Version : Possible Purchase

cqvillas
27th July 2012, 08:27 AM
I've been looking at the Woodfast M910 lathe for quite a while now and it just so happens they are on special at the moment. Before I purchase on emotion, I would be interested in the comments of those who have one. For me, I think for the price it seems to have all the things I'm after as well as looking like a solid well built machine.

Thanks in advance.

nz_carver
27th July 2012, 09:04 AM
There a good lathe I use one at my club
There good if your tall I'm 6,0 and it's just rite
I have a nova and the wood fast centre is higher

If your short try it first

Pat has one and loves it mind you thes taller then me

hughie
27th July 2012, 09:53 AM
. Before I purchase on emotion,

All purchase are based on emotion :U thats why advertising works.

Talk to Pat.

Big Shed
27th July 2012, 10:30 AM
When I was in the market for a new woodlathe I had the Woodfast on my shortlist.

On inspection I ruled it out on two factors, first it was much too high for me with no easy way of lowering it (I would have to stand on a platform), second even though it has electronic variable speed this requires 6 (from memory) belt changes to go through all the ranges and the belt changes were not that easy to do. Woodfast makes a lot of being an Australian company, but they are a Chinese lathe imported and badged by them.

In the end I settled on a WL46 from Hare and Forbes (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W387) and have been very happy with that choice, saved quite a bit of money too, although that wasn't my motivating factor.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/changing-guard-115302/

NeilS
27th July 2012, 11:19 AM
The lathe has a long pedigree, and although manufactured in China nowadays the design and quality assurance is still Australian.

I can't comment on the M910, but I was very happy with its green predecessor which I used for many years. I have the C1000X now and continue to be happy with it, as well.

You hear very few complaints on this forum about either Woodfast or Vicmarc lathes. So it comes down to personal preferences and pockets.

Can't (won't) comment on any other makes, other than to say you can pay a lot more, or a little less, but the price doesn't necessarily ensure or preclude you getting good value for your hard won $s.

hughie
27th July 2012, 12:19 PM
In the end I settled on a WL46 from Hare and Forbes (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W387) and have been very happy with that choice, saved quite a bit of money too, although that wasn't my motivating factor

I must admit that I have looked at these lathes several times and although never used one. They do look the business 2hp motor, good swing and I do like the solid legs.
If its as good as it looks then its very well priced I have not heard any grumbles about them.

As too Woodfast, I have a 1987 M400 with 1hp three phase conversion and electronic variable speed drive. Well made and performs very well and if the Chinese version has maintained the same standard. Then they are still very good lathes and worth giving serious thought to.

But at the end of the day as Neil has alluded too its down to budget and personal choice. When you think about it, its not a bad spot to be in. So many good lathes makes and models to choose from. :2tsup:

When I first started out turning back in the 60's choice was poor at best, in fact woeful by comparision

Mrs Woodpecker
27th July 2012, 07:48 PM
I have one and just love it. Does it have electronic speed control. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Osbojo
27th July 2012, 10:41 PM
And I think both the M910 and WL46 are on special at Hafco too.

Mobyturns
28th July 2012, 07:34 AM
I've got an old 908 with the first 2hp EVS drive kit (same as M910) that Woodfast set up after annoying Bronte so much. The EVS is just like an aussie bushy, strong, quiet & does the job without any fuss. Digital display would be nice when others ask "what speed do you turn at?" My only regret with repowering the old 908, I would like the M33 spindle and maybe the M910 bearings are better. Highly recommend the repower option though as many really good quality Woodfasts with plenty of life in them yet are being replaced with not as good a quality lathe.

FRB Design
28th July 2012, 09:19 AM
If you could get it transported have a look a look here.

Vicmarc VL 175EVSM Woodturning Lathe Near New - Save $2000 On New Price ! | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vicmarc-VL-175EVSM-Woodturning-Lathe-Near-New-Save-2000-New-Price-/170886012865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27c9999fc1#ht_500wt_922)

Regards,

Frank.

NeilS
28th July 2012, 11:14 AM
...even though it has electronic variable speed this requires 6 (from memory) belt changes to go through all the ranges and the belt changes were not that easy to do.

I've been thinking about this point from Big Shed and why it hasn't been an issue for me, but might be for others.

The only times I make a belt change is when I'm doing some smaller spindle work (in my case rarely) or when I'm doing larger bowls (occasionally). Otherwise the speed range available on an upper mid-range pulley combo has sufficient variability on the EVSs I've used to meet most of my turning requirements. If I had a Vicmarc or a WL-46A I would still have to make the belt change for the larger bowls (to get the extra power at low revs), but I do them in batches so it's not such an issue for me.

The slowest speed on the EVS is a factor in how often you have to change the belt. For example, the lowest speed on the Nova 1624-44 178rpm, the WL-46A is 100rpm, the Nova DVR XP 100rpm, the Woodfast C1000X 20rpm, Vicmarcs 10rpm, Woodfast M910 10rpm. The slower speeds, when matched with sufficient power, make a big difference in how frequently you need to change belt settings.

However, if your turning involves complex pieces with widely varying diameters that require frequent large-step speed changes then the additional belt changing will be more of a factor in your decision about which lathe to purchase.

Paul39
29th July 2012, 11:50 AM
If you could get it transported have a look a look here.

Vicmarc VL 175EVSM Woodturning Lathe Near New - Save $2000 On New Price ! | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vicmarc-VL-175EVSM-Woodturning-Lathe-Near-New-Save-2000-New-Price-/170886012865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27c9999fc1#ht_500wt_922) Frank.

I would kill for that shed. Lathe is not bad either.

Pat
29th July 2012, 02:38 PM
I've got a Yellow Peril and thoroughly enjoy turning on it. Spindles or bowls, Internal or external.

Belt changes, take about 10 seconds and most of that is ensuring that you have put the belt in the right pulleys and not disturbed the micro switches:doh:

Generally for bowls I leave it on Pulley 3, as I pre cut mine round on the bandsaw - I find that quicker and safer. I have used the lowest revs for serious large and out of round hunks of wood. Can be very interesting:)

I have bolted my lathe down, raised it by 6mm to suit me, there is no Rock and Roll or chancing it around the shed.

I brought mine direct from Woodfast and received excellent customer service - pre and post sale.

I still like it and have turned on a few lathes to compare it with.

Disclaimer: I am a weekend turner and have formed my own views as expressed above and have no proprietary interest in Woodfast Machinery Co.

cookie48
29th July 2012, 02:43 PM
I considered the same lathe very closely. But was informed by several people that now they are made in China the standard has gone down very much.
Would it be possible if some people could either confirm or deny this please.
If they are still a good lathe it will go back on my list.
Thanks

Pat
29th July 2012, 03:37 PM
Cookie, mine is Chinese made, but assembled and quality controlled in Australia by Woodfast. Other retailers may not do this steps.

I think the best thing for you to do is to ring Woodfast direct and as if they still do the above.

NeilS
29th July 2012, 04:47 PM
I considered the same lathe very closely. But was informed by several people that now they are made in China the standard has gone down very much.
Would it be possible if some people could either confirm or deny this please.

Can't say that I noticed any difference in build quality between my earlier made-entirely-in-Oz (other than the EVS) Woodfast and my current Chinese made (other than the EVS) Woodfast.

The problem with Chinese made is not so much the Chinese manufacturers but the Western companies that specify a build quality that is primarily about getting a product under a price ceiling. If the Chinese can manufacture rockets that can launch satellites into space they can manufacture up to whatever standard you specify, but not also at budget prices.

I know the Woodfast guys not only inspect every lathe before they ship/release it but also go over and spend time with their Chinese manufacturer to ensure they are getting quality appropriate for the price they offer to the market.

And, yes, their after sales service is excellent, as I have no doubt is Vicmarc's

Paul39
30th July 2012, 08:44 AM
The problem with Chinese made is not so much the Chinese manufacturers but the Western companies that specify a build quality that is primarily about getting a product under a price ceiling. If the Chinese can manufacture rockets that can launch satellites into space they can manufacture up to whatever standard you specify, but not also at budget prices.

I absolutely agree.

smiife
30th July 2012, 08:33 PM
i have had mine for just over a year now:U
and very happy with the performance and reliabilaty
the only problem i have is banging the off button with my leg
sometimes,it is rock solid and very quiet ,i do not think you will regret
buying a woodfast m910 ,i certainly have not :;
cheers smiife:2tsup:

cqvillas
30th July 2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for everyone's input.
I went ahead this morning and took the plunge. The lathe I'm using at the moment is an old version Vimarc 200 with the motor hanging off the side which imparts a small vibration into the headstock that made me think twice about attempting some projects. It will be a pleasure to use a machine like the M910.

Cheers.