PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest for HAFCO WL 38 lathe

KeithW
27th July 2012, 06:14 PM
Hi all,
Looking for a shorter tool rest for my HAFCO WL-38 lathe. I have the standard 6" rest and would like to have a short one for those smaller jobs.
Does anyone have a preferred supplier in Sydney that would stock the HAFCO size?

wheelinround
27th July 2012, 06:24 PM
Yes Hare & Forbes :U

Otherwise get yourself to the Sydney woodshow at Homebush tomorrow or Sunday and bag yourself a bargain on one from either McJings, Carrols, Trend Timbers.

KeithW
27th July 2012, 07:46 PM
Hare and Forbes only have the 6" rest they sugested to buy that one and cut it!!

Mcjing only had 1' and the wl38 is 20mm didn't try Carrols, Trend Timbers though so I'll give them a try on Sunday.
Went to show today thought it was quiet good espacially Theo Hal......... demos on turning.
Thanks for the sugestion.

Acco
27th July 2012, 08:28 PM
Another option is to visit a Steel/Welding Fabricator and get them to make one to your specs, an easy 15 minutes job

chuck1
27th July 2012, 08:34 PM
Im very lucky I buy flatbar 50 by 10mm and bright bar round and get my neighbor to cut and weld them. Last time it cost 28 dollars for 4 tool rests

wheelinround
27th July 2012, 09:23 PM
Hare and Forbes only have the 6" rest they sugested to buy that one and cut it!!

Mcjing only had 1' and the wl38 is 20mm didn't try Carrols, Trend Timbers though so I'll give them a try on Sunday.
Went to show today thought it was quiet good espacially Theo Hal......... demos on turning.
Thanks for the sugestion.

Keith if you don't find one PM me I'll make you one. I made Christos a couple and Scribbly Gum this one (http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/search?q=tool+rest)

Edited to add Keith this is the ones made for Christos http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/lathe-rest-wip-134509/index4.html#post1388985

thumb trimmer
27th July 2012, 10:24 PM
yeah, I just bought another standard from H&F and cut it down. 4" grinder jobby ... too easy.

Works a treat.

wheelinround
4th August 2012, 06:39 PM
Hey Kieth heard you have done a bunk to warmer weather well I was told today:;

I found these on a table they reckon they have your name on them.

they look the jobbie.:2tsup:

KeithW
10th August 2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks wheelinround, picked them on Wednesday used them the same day they are great.:2tsup:

weather was really great on the gold coast to:roll:

wheelinround
10th August 2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks wheelinround, picked them on Wednesday used them the same day they are great.:2tsup:

weather was really great on the gold coast to:roll:

Glad you came back to some real nice weather then :p

Looking forward to seeing the new shed, checked out the new laths (all of them):;

KeithW
11th August 2012, 01:38 PM
New should be great, give us a lot more room for machines and members,

New second hand lathes are good, very solid units and fast.