PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor and Small Bits ?

Geekgirl
29th July 2012, 05:08 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone here use a Drill Doctor ? I have the 500x, it is about 2 years old now, I bought it to re sharpen 2 drill bits that get a hammering (1/4" and 3/8") I install a lot of security systems, on the front doors when we put the reed switches in we drill a 3/8" hole for the reed and push it in. If I drill it on a very narrow angle ~30degree, It is just timber, but this looks ugly and should be filled and painted. I prefer to drill ~85degree through the lintel and into the inside brick. As soon as I go though the lintel the bit hits the cement and bricks and the edge has gone. So I use Colbolt 135 degree split point bits and re sharpen with no problems.

The problem I have is in aligning the 4.5mm and smaller bits, they seem to grab ok in the alignment jig, but once sharpened they seem dull still :(

I use 3mm alot in mounting card readers in lifts and these are Stainless panels.

I would prefer to sharpen these than throwing and buying more.

For the middle and larger sizes this works great, is easy to use for all bits (118 / 135 degree and split / no split point bits)

Any ideas ?

Kat.

Old Croc
16th October 2012, 09:08 PM
Kat,
A little bit off the thread, but have you considered using ARTU bits for the jobs you are doing. I use them for all sorts of jobs like that, and hitting the masonary will not bother them and I have them in both metric and imperial, just google them, you can get them individually in Brisbane, so you should get them over there.
rgds,
Crocy.