PDA

View Full Version : I love the smell of Lycra in the morning

bitingmidge
13th March 2005, 10:05 AM
Now that I have your attention, this thread is actually about the cost of delivery!

This morning at 7.30 am I had need of a particular masonry bit, which was exactly the size I didn't have.

The nearest hardware store is a mere 3k's away and a pleasant walk, but doesn't open till 9.00 on a Sunday, so on with the Lycra shorts and a 27k round trip on the pushie to the one that opens at 8.00. (It's ok, it's also a pleasant trip, mostly through national park and along the side of a lake- there's lots of good things about living in Paradise!!) Come to think of it, half of it wasn't all that pleasant, there was a 25knot wind :mad: .

I was home well and truly before the other store opened, in fact I've drilled my four holes, mounted the hose and logged on here!

Anyway I came to be thinking whilst pedalling, about the cost of running a car (which I dont' usually worry too much about I must admit), and at 60c per k, the real cost of running a car, delivery would have been about $18.00 for a $12.00 bit.

If I'd thought about it a few days ago, I could have had it delivered from Lee Valley by airmail for less, it's actually cheaper to fly something from Canada than drive to the shop.

Similarly for me to pick up something from Carbatec (or any of the other major stores for that matter) a 250k plus round trip or $150 in running costs! :eek: :eek:

I think I'm starting to get into this mail order thing!!!

Cheers,

P (off to wash the car now!!) :D

vsquizz
13th March 2005, 10:21 AM
MIdge, I'm sure the last three delivery boys I ran over would agree with you:rolleyes: . These new light weight bicycles tend to get stuck in the bullbar on the truck though and you can do a radiator in real easy.:cool:

The reason why we tend to drive around to get things in Australia is because we are so pig headed and independant:rolleyes: or it might have something to do with air travel in the country costing something in the region of several more testicles than most of us are willing to donate.:rolleyes:

Keep the treadly, you can sub-contract to Lee Valley as end point delivery, but I don't reckon they'll pay too well:p .

Just remember, if your out in your Lycra hot doggin it through the traffic...one of those trucks COULD BE ME!:eek: :D (insert evil laugh)

Cheers

bitingmidge
13th March 2005, 10:36 AM
And here was I thinking I'd cop it for:
mounted the hose

When I meant to say "attached the hose reel to the wall"

:D :D :D :D

P

Rusty
13th March 2005, 10:48 AM
Now that I have your attention, this thread is actually about the cost of delivery!
Thread title had me sucked in. I was hoping for more Major style Albert park pics.:(

Rus.
(The sad and desperate).

Daddles
13th March 2005, 11:07 AM
And here was I thinking I'd cop it for: mounted the hose

When I meant to say "attached the hose reel to the wall"

:D :D :D :D

P

It's alright. We all know you don't take your stockings off until after dark.

Richard

Rocker
13th March 2005, 11:46 AM
Midge,

As I see it, it is only bean counters who believe that the cost of running a car is 60c/km. It only reaches that figure because depreciation is included; but I reckon that my car is likely to last until I am underground, and I have already paid for it, so a few more km on the clock cost little more than the price of the fuel used and the overheads of keeping a car on the road, which you are paying anyway, whether you use it or not.

Also, you have not taken into account the hidden costs of cycling - the depreciation on your $5000 velocipede, the wear and tear on your knees and crown jewels, and the loss of an hour's shed time, the cost of your Armani cycling outfit, and its laundry - the costs are never-ending, apart from the risks to life and limb that cycling entails. Have you considered the damage to your reputation that cycling may cause? Potentential clients for your architectural services are going to shake their heads as you cycle past, and murmur that your white shoes must be down-at-heel, if you are forced by financial circumstances to leave the Merc in the driveway, and cycle to Bunnings with the rest of the plebs.

I say drive, and hang the expense.

Rocker

NewLou
13th March 2005, 12:08 PM
Here! Here! (Laughing)..................I can just see it!!!!..............Midge decides to take the plunge and Drive Then>>>>>>>> CRASH!!!!!!! or alternatively end up with prostrate probs from all the peddling!!!!!

Your a shot duck Midge!!!........better lock yourself in the SHED!!!! :D:D:D

REgards Lou :eek:

Lucas
13th March 2005, 12:24 PM
Midge

my boss would be unhappy if he knew how much i drive the work ute out of work then

went to look at an old HQ ute last monday and ummmm slid in to a car in the wet after work

he turned to me and said " not the most direct route home huh " then laughed

as i said to him thats what happens when he treats a ute as a truck and puts so much **** on it

BTW the new truck comes in a month ( hino 4.6 turbo diesel .... with a crane and 14 foot tray ) just the right size to pick up timber nice of the boos you think

bitingmidge
13th March 2005, 12:33 PM
BTW the new truck comes in a month ( hino 4.6 turbo diesel .... with a crane and 14 foot tray ) just the right size to pick up timber nice of the boos you think

Hmmm. I reckon for a crane and a 14 foot tray, I could be tempted to give up the treadly!!

:D

P

outback
13th March 2005, 12:38 PM
The mere mention of lycra and its all testicles, crown jewels, hose mounting, (whether up the wall or not), wet and slippery predicaments, not to mention squizz's sad fetish with bars from bulls.

You're a bad man midge

bitingmidge
13th March 2005, 01:06 PM
As I see it, it is only bean counters who believe that the cost of running a car is 60c/km.

Rocker,

I took a lot of consolation in your post for a time, but on further reflection, it would appear that my car costs something like $32.00 per day EVEN IF I DON'T DRIVE THE THING.

Assuming that I don't go anywhere else today, it seems my bicycle trip cost more than I thought!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers,

P (who never was very good at maths)

Harry72
13th March 2005, 04:30 PM
Dam thats cheaper than my runnabout at $37.50 a day without petrol or depreciation or even me driving it(SWMBO does that).
What are you driving that cost $150 to do a 250km trip... a locomotive or something?

ozwinner
14th March 2005, 05:03 PM
Dam thats cheaper than my runnabout at $37.50 a day without petrol or depreciation or even me driving it(SWMBO does that).
What are you driving that cost $150 to do a 250km trip... a locomotive or something?
Its a RR Silver Cloud!!
Ahhh Midge, fussing over a few bucks, and yet he still drives a 4 ton RR with armour plating.

Al :)

Daddles
14th March 2005, 06:59 PM
Its a RR Silver Cloud!!
Ahhh Midge, fussing over a few bucks, and yet he still drives a 4 ton RR with armour plating.

Oi! Don't knock the Midge for driving a Roller. He only got it because it's the only one with a glass shield between him and the back seat ... where he carries the sheep ... and he doesn't like them breathing down his neck :eek:

Cheers
Richard

echnidna
14th March 2005, 07:45 PM
Its a RR Silver Cloud!!

and is one of his future jobs removing the rear bodywork and converting it into a 1 ton ute.

Would be a very impressive ute.

MajorPanic
14th March 2005, 08:03 PM
Midge,
Have you considered the damage to your reputation that cycling may cause? Potentential clients for your architectural services are going to shake their heads as you cycle past, and murmur that your white shoes must be down-at-heel, if you are forced by financial circumstances to leave the Merc in the driveway, and cycle to Bunnings with the rest of the plebs.

Rocker
I agree wholeheartedly with the views expressed by our resident sagacious one, Rocker!!!

Just, drive the bloody car mate!!!! & don't be a yuppie ;) :D :D :D

bitingmidge
14th March 2005, 09:55 PM
Woodwork isn't my only pass time after all.

P

MajorPanic
14th March 2005, 09:59 PM

P
OK!!!! A rod Royce!! :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

ozwinner
15th March 2005, 06:21 PM

P
I thought workshoping was your passtime??

Al :confused: :D

Harry72
22nd March 2005, 12:36 AM
"Woodwork isn't my only pass time after all."
Looks like you do a bit of photochoppin?

Iain
22nd March 2005, 08:08 AM
and is one of his future jobs removing the rear bodywork and converting it into a 1 ton ute.

Would be a very impressive ute.
Bob, one of these has been in Melbourne for years, belonged to a panelbeater and was used in a Tatts advert.

Forest Gump
22nd March 2005, 08:30 AM
As a kid growing up in the Yarra Valley, a local farmer converted a Roller into a ute because he was sick of using the back seat of the merc to cart the sheep around.

Daniel

soundman
9th April 2005, 10:59 PM
On another note This twisted vision has come to me :rolleyes:
Midge comes from the land of the biting midge right?
Midges come out in the early morning & and afternoon right?.

Imagine Midge himself, peddling like the clappers persued by this huge cloud of the little biting buggers all the way to bunnings & back. :D