PDA

View Full Version : Baltic Cruise

John Saxton
2nd August 2012, 09:35 PM
A lot of folk have cruised the various parts of the world , however I wonder if anyone here on the forums can offer insights on an Baltic cruise they may have had the good fortune to experience.

We are looking at the Scandanavian/Batic region not having been in that area before.

If anyone can offer up their highlights/experiences it would be appreciated.

TIA

Cheers:)

Ray153
2nd August 2012, 10:53 PM
I have sailed up and down the Norwegian coast on the Hurtigruten. Sails from Bergen daily for a 12 day round trip to Kirkenes and back. Calls on at 33 ports both on the up leg and again on the down leg. The ones you visit at night going north, you see in daylight coming south.

One of the best boat trips you can get, and you can break the journey, you can just go a few days, get off for a day in a town then catch the next boat that comes along.

Each town gets visited twice a day, one up, one down. A boat leaves Bergen every day so it is a bit like the trains, can always get the next one.

The ship might stay in the tiny fishing ports 15 minutes but in the larger cities and centers, up to a day in the case of Tromso. Most places you are there for several hours so there is plenty of time to go and wander around. There are also tours in the larger places that you can book into from the boat.

Magnificent scenery and would go again in a second if I could.

Google Hurtigruten and it will give you the site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

John Saxton
10th August 2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks Ray for your insights ,this is a special cruise for SWMBO celebrating an occasion .We thought of the Baltic region as it covers the Scandanavian ports as well as St Petersburg something that she has always wanted to do & I must admit I'm not averse to the idea.

Cheers:)