PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a Turned Burl Piece

manodav
3rd August 2012, 12:39 AM
I've turned a Red Mallee burl to fit a clock. I need some advice about finishing the remaining rough surface around the clock on the front of the burl. :(

Any help will be appreciated.

hughie
3rd August 2012, 01:01 AM
[

I've turned a Red Mallee burl to fit a clock. I need some advice about finishing the remaining rough surface around the clock on the front of the burl. :(

Any help will be appreciated

chuck a piccy up if you can. By rough do you mean the debarked burl finish or rough from the turning?

manodav
3rd August 2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your response.

I attach a pic of the piece - Immediately around the circumference of the clock face I'll sand and finish with wax.

But, it's all that rough portion around the clock face - in it's raw state it's a light pink, unfinished colour, and I wondered how one could enhance the colour?

turnerted
3rd August 2012, 05:59 PM
manodav
Quite a neat design that. I might have to pinch it.
I would just treat the whole lot with danish oil using a brush on the prickly parts . Don't worry about putting wax on the turned part. It wll buff up OK.
Ted

Sawdust Maker
4th August 2012, 08:58 PM
I agree with Ted on the design and would except his experienced advice on the danish :2tsup:

Paul39
7th August 2012, 01:32 PM
I agree with the above, using a brush to apply danish oil or tung oil sparingly and work it in to all the deeper places.

When dry, buff with a shoe polishing brush to get a bit of shine down in the crevices.

Very pretty clock.