PDA

View Full Version : Picket fence

torquay
13th March 2005, 09:06 PM
Ok PPL

I am after some advice here I am in the process of completing our picket fence in the next few week all going well.

I have been undercoating all the picket's and today cut them all to size and will be painting them all in the next week with Dulux weathershield paint

The question is I want some advice do i screw them on or do I use my best mate a Paslode Bradder with a ND nose piece that way i can shoot 18 gauge nails and it leaves a small hole

your advice will be appreciated :confused:

craigb
13th March 2005, 09:11 PM
Pro fencers use a nail gun. Why wouldn't you?

mic-d
13th March 2005, 09:29 PM
I think a nail gun would be much faster. But not just any nail gun, use a coil nailer, they have nice big round heads that don't easily work through the paling. Small nail heads eg t-nailer, means short life span for the fence.
Cheers
Michael

Shane Watson
13th March 2005, 09:59 PM
Coil Nailer.......done thousands on metres of pailing fence and I couldn't imagine having to screw every one on......there are other reasons too though. screws do hold better initially but let go much sooner. etc etc etc...

barnsey
13th March 2005, 10:45 PM
Not had any experience with air nailers but if possible use gal fixings - fences are subject to a whole heap of extremes Your start is great - don't spoil it for a 1/2p of effort.

Jamie

Gaza
14th March 2005, 09:23 AM
For a picket fence go the whole 100% use screws, maybe fix the pickets in place while you working with one ND brad in each rail then screw with two screws pre rail, counter sink them all the bog the holes with builders bog, sand and etc.

it will take hrs but the quality is very very good if done right, like a side fence of TP or hwd who gives a rat but the nice front fence,

seriph1
25th March 2005, 11:50 AM
if youre going to screw them, why not skew screw them from the back and have no filling to do? - Personally I would use a nail gun from the front and skew nail in stainless or at the least, gal nails.

have fun!!! :D:D:D

johnc
25th March 2005, 08:46 PM
I've usually stuck to galv deck nails for pickets, as the things have usually been treated pine and I don't mind using a hammer. That and no nail guns in the tool box may have something to do with it.

John C

seriph1
25th March 2005, 08:49 PM
nowadays a nail gun and comp are under $300. Bloody amagglin I know but I picked one of each up for $100 the lot several months back, thanks to this forum...... never looked back

:D:D:D

have fun

Wes2008
3rd April 2005, 10:39 AM
For fence, I would nail it. Totally agree with the comment above.

echnidna
3rd April 2005, 10:51 AM
Nail it, you can always screw it later if you need to.

Lucas
3rd April 2005, 11:59 AM
If it was me
i would nail it by hand
buy good quality Gal twist nails and bang away
with the amount you have to nail why hire or buy a nail gun