PDA

View Full Version : Dynalink / Carbatec MC900 pulleys

Blitzer
4th August 2012, 10:28 PM
Hi guys, hope you can give me some advice, help, hints on how to solve a bit of a problem...

Very recently purchased a Dynalink Mk II lathe, unused and still in its original box. This brand is discontinued (carried by SuperCheap Auto I think), but the Carbatec MC900 is an identical current unit (diff colours and a couple subtle changes).

What I discovered, and not a first, is that the pot metal adjustable pulleys have perished, disintegrating into pieces by turning it by hand.

So now the problem, where to get replacement pulleys? Or find an other affordable solution?

Quick chat with the nice Carbatec sales peeps today, discovering replacements for their equivalent (untested), is around $120....not overly keen on this as that's what I paid for the whole lathe.

If I had access to a metal lathe, tools and stock I'd probably turn my own replacements. Event contemplated turning replacements out of hardwood in my old lil lathe, but getting the right angles, dimensions could be a bit problematic as the old pulleys are mostly warped or in pieces.

So, put it to you fine, creative people, what options do I have?

Thank you all in advance.

Daniel.

orificiam
4th August 2012, 10:48 PM
You could try Hare and Forbes they seem to have a similar lathe, I think.
This one. W382 | WL-18 Swivel Head Wood Lathe | machineryhouse.com.au (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W382)

Cheers Tony.:)

Blitzer
4th August 2012, 11:28 PM
Tony, yep, that's exactly the same lathe, looks like there are a few rebrandings going on.

Will drop them an email or call moday!

Thanks for the info - although I fear I'll get silly prices around the $100 for the pulleys :-(

Fuzzie
5th August 2012, 08:42 AM
I've got a spare set of the drive side pulleys available (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/mc900-reeves-pulley-spindle-set-144600/)

My thread on experiences replacing the pulleys is Jammed MC900 Lathe speed adjuster
(http://www.woodworkforums.com/f155/jammed-mc900-lathe-speed-adjuster-140083/)

Blitzer
5th August 2012, 09:49 AM
Hey there Fuzzie, thank you for your offer on the pulleys, but I'd struck the same issue you'd have....and to fix that I'd need access to a decent metal lathe :-( which if I had, I'd likely turn a new set of steel pulleys ;-)

Did you end up sourcing replacements locally? May I ask what $ damage?

---
I know everyone keeps saying that for a $400 lathe, spending $100 isn't much, but with money tight, that $100 has greater priorities ahead of it going towards this.

Fuzzie
5th August 2012, 02:37 PM
As per the other thread I had unexpected luck finding a secondhand part that fitted at Carbatec (somebody remembered seeing one in a crate on the bottom shelf at the back of the service department :- ). I can't remember the price, but it was less than a new one in Oz and less than machining the oversized part, so it must have been around $40.

As best I can measure the dimensions of my spare are:

Overall pulley diameter is 120mm.
The pulleys are for a nominal shaft size of 1 inch, however I measure the inside diameter of the hole as 24mm.
The machined section that fits into the yoke is 35mm outside diameter and 14mm deep from the shoulder to the capture ring groove. The wall thickness of that section is 5.5mm.