PDA

View Full Version : Cheap blanks?

jeraldb
14th March 2005, 09:14 AM
Anyone know where I can get some cheap blanks. Say, no thicker than 5 inches, and no wider on the other two sides than 6 inches. I need some practice.

My first turning attempt has been a very dry Honey Locust that is about 12 inches in diameter and 24 inches long. It's killing me.

barnsey
14th March 2005, 10:53 AM
G'day jeraldb,

Welcome to the board ;)

Sources I have used in the past are;
Cabinet makers who specialize in solid timber fitouts. Round here a number of them also do luxury boat fitouts. They will usually let you fossick through their scrap bins. The good part is that their waste is often quality exotic timbers. A couple of them will ask for a few dollars for whatever you take but generally they are more than reasonable.;)

Demolition yards that sell 2nd hand materials often can be a good source. This requires you to know what you've got a hold of because they will usually try and extract every cent they can out of you. Bargains can still be found though. :p

Watch for developers and or workmen that are clearing land and/or pruning trees. Around here this debris is often chipped to make mulch and if you explain what your looking for they will usually go out of their way to give it to you. Saves them the extra work. Mostly you will have very green timber but you can cut blanks from it and salt it away to season. Mind you if you've never worked green timber you are missing out on quite a thrill. :D

Hope that helps :)

Jamie

rsser
14th March 2005, 05:46 PM
Getting anything these days over 5" is a luxury! Grab it and hang onto it for later.

smidsy
14th March 2005, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the group Jerald.

The fact is that you will rarely get cheap blanks because blanks by definition have been cut, treated and stored - the people that do this tend to want to charge for their effort.

About the best source of timber is profesional tree loppers because it costs them labour and money to dispose of the trees they cut down.
See if there is some sort of profesional organization for these guys in your town, if there is give them a call - most of them are more than happy for you to turn up to a site with a trailer and take what you want.
Another thing to keep an eye out for is green waste collections by your local council. Many people do their tree lopping close to the collection so this is a good chance to get timber before it cracks.

As Barnesy said, land clearing is also a good source for timber but they usually clear the land with a dozer so you'll need a good size chainsaw to cut the timber in to manageable peices.

Cheers
Paul

rsser
14th March 2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah. What Paul said.

(What's US-speak for our trailer? their's = caravan)

Also chk out fencing contractors and house restumpers (if your local guys use wood for these things)

smidsy
14th March 2005, 06:06 PM
Good point Ern.
Jerald, what we call a trailer here in Australia is the thing you tow behind a car for carrying loads - not sure what it's called in the US.

Cheers
Paul