PDA

View Full Version : My pink birthday cake

Wongo
14th March 2005, 09:21 AM
I was fixing the kitchen yesterday and suddenly I heard some banging from outside the house. Knowing Jasmin was outside, I ran out to see what happened.

She was sitting on the floor and hitting a nail with a junior hammer. I asked her “What are you doing and where did you find the nails?”

“Daddy I am making you something.” she replied.

What surprised me was how she was able to find the nails. She stood on her chair to reach the workbench and found the box where I put the nails.

And what was she making? “A pink birthday cake with 8 candles.”
:)

Rusty
14th March 2005, 10:47 AM
That's cute, man.

silentC
14th March 2005, 10:57 AM
Makes you proud, doesn't it?

My daughter comes down to the shed and puts her hands on her hips, looks at me and says "Daddy!! You made another mess. I'm going to have to clean it up, now." She puts on a paper mask that nearly covers her whole face and sweeps up the sawdust on the floor and puts it in the bin. I suppose I should enjoy it while it lasts. I won't be able to compete with her friends and other things when she's older.

I spent the whole day with my kids yesterday. No shed time, just us hanging out. Last night before she went to bed, I told my daughter "I had a nice day today". She puts her arms around me and says "I'm going to miss you when you go to work tomorrow. Will you miss me when I'm at school?" You bet ;)

Wongo
14th March 2005, 11:09 AM
"Daddy!! You made another mess. I'm going to have to clean it up, now."

:D :D

Silent,

It is amazing how much they know and how clever they are. They see you in the garage all the time and they are learning from what you do.

She said to me “Daddy I need a pair of safety goggles, otherwise the nail will get into my eyes.”

Not bad for a 3 1/2 yr old. :)

oges
14th March 2005, 01:42 PM
As long as they remember to stay away from the daddy's special timber.

You never mentioned how the cake tasted :D

DPB
14th March 2005, 04:51 PM
You are a very luck man. Cherish the moment - they are gone before you know it!:)

AlexS
14th March 2005, 07:51 PM
It's good now, but it gets better. Wait 'til they're teenagers and still talking to you.

IMHO, by spending time with them now you are contributing to their education and development of their personality. They learn that they can trust you and you trust them, and as they get older, will not be afraid of introducing their friends.

It's a great journey, even if there are the occasional bumps. Enjoy it now and in the future.

Wongo, it's a shame they don't let the kids play with hammers & nails at the pre-school. It's all compressed air & nail guns these days. :D

echnidna
14th March 2005, 08:21 PM
And when your kida are grown adults it starts all over again with your grandkids. :)

Gumby
16th March 2005, 08:15 PM
You are a very luck man. Cherish the moment - they are gone before you know it!:)

I can't wait !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

E. maculata
17th March 2005, 09:33 AM
it's a shame they don't let the kids play with hammers & nails at the pre-school. It's all compressed air & nail guns these days. :D

Crikey! which pre-school is this at, that'd be my 4 yr old sons dream....ahh unlimited access to "Dan Pressor" (his 2 yr age name for my compressor)and air tools.
Seriously guys, sharing time like this with the kids makes all the other cwap in life bearable,ie; yesterday had a bad day........ cure help the little guy make a "rocket" in the shed for his favourite soft toy monkey :) .

AlexS
17th March 2005, 01:22 PM
Crikey! which pre-school is this at, that'd be my 4 yr old sons dream....ahh unlimited access to "Dan Pressor" (his 2 yr age name for my compressor)and air tools.
Seriously guys, sharing time like this with the kids makes all the other cwap in life bearable,ie; yesterday had a bad day........ cure help the little guy make a "rocket" in the shed for his favourite soft toy monkey :) .

Actually, I posted it as a joke, but when I was telling SWMBO (Pre-school teacher) she said that until a few years ago, they had real kid-sized hammers,saws etc for the kids to play with. Sure, they occasionally hit their thumbs or nicked their fingers, but usually only once. Now, in the cotton-wool society we've become, they can't play with anything that could hurt them in the slightest.

Sorry E. Mac., they haven't really brought in nail guns yet ;)