PDA

View Full Version : Orienting the grain when cutting blanks

ClintO
6th August 2012, 07:47 PM
I have a variety of offcuts that I intend to cut into pen blanks.
Is there a recommended way you line them up, I notice that the blanks I see seem to vary from straight to slightly offset grain so they give the best effect when turned

dai sensei
6th August 2012, 07:58 PM
Depends on the timber and the figure in the grain. For beginners along the grain is best, for more advanced turners that plus 30/45/60/X-cut are all options

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th August 2012, 10:35 PM
:whs:

45°, cross-cut and highly figured blanks are more prone to certain problems due to the constant changes from side- to end-grain cuts as you drill, turn or sand.

It's really only a relatively minor difference, but most new pen-turners have enough problems learning to drill straight, to glue tubes without voids or to sand/turn without ovalling, without introducing other factors such as widely variant grain.

Mind you, it doesn't take up much shelf space to cut a variety of different blanks for "some time in the future," y'know? :wink:

Reaper
7th August 2012, 11:06 AM
Mind you, it doesn't take up much shelf space to cut a variety of different blanks for "some time in the future," y'know? :wink:

i have been playing with some jarrah off cuts that are all x-cut. as everyone said its difficult to get the hang of but its also a great way to learn, i would definitely be doing a variety of cuts in your position (I'm a first timer)