PDA

View Full Version : Wood Canvas Canoe

Clinks
7th August 2012, 02:04 PM
G'day All,

I have a wood (ribbed) canvas canoe my Pop built a little over 80 years ago out of some red cedar and yellow wood, the canoe has been recanvassed a couple of times in its easy life, but it has received a bit of damage after a flood being stored in a shed with a few over lethal objects that weren't kind, and in an insurance matter the company has asked me to obtain a new for old quote. I have told them I am going to repair it, but they want a quote new for old on a canoe because I am amateur they won't listen to me.

So I am asking if anybody would know of a person I could get a new wood canvas canoe build quote off. I have included an older picture of the canoe which is an Indian styled canoe, but a Canadian Canoe Quote would be fine.

Regards Clinks

chambezio
7th August 2012, 03:16 PM
Cliff Rogers is a Forumite who does a bit with canoodles. He is an amateur canoe builder but he would be someone who could answer your question about a quote. You may have to send him a PM as he is most probably at work being the the time of the day

vk4
7th August 2012, 05:48 PM
clinks,

I do not know if you still have the plans for the Canoe, if not can you post some pic's of the frame construction , and I will see if I can work out a quote for you.

Jeff
vk4

Just finished a power canoe

Clinks
9th August 2012, 05:07 PM
Jeff,

That would be great, most the timber is steam bent. I just have to renew the canvas and paint and any other broken bits, ignore what I have lying in it. I have done an internet search and there are a few places in USA who still make them this way (such as Island Falls Canoe and T.R. Evans Canoes) and for a 16 foot canoe they quote anywhere between $2500-4500 don't know if insurance company would accept overseas quote.

Sorry I have no plans but the timber ribs are bent and set in place, then planked with 5/32 cedar, then it is canvased, seal canvas, put gunwhale on and keel and paint. Here some pictures of inside.

Regards Clinks

vk4
10th August 2012, 09:16 AM
Clinks,

I could not see any timber damage in the Pic's ,

Are you just after Canvas and Gunwhales, I thought there was an issue at the bow, but could not see it clearly.

Jeff
vk4

Clinks
13th August 2012, 03:29 PM
Hi Jeff,

They just want a quote on a replacement canoe new for old, I think I can get one so maybe don't worry about it. And I just took pictures of the ends you may notice the middle is missing from the pictures and there is a couple of broken bits on the inside and you cannot see some of the planks. Anyhow I do intend to repair myself, but the insurance company asked for a quote of a replacement canoe to put a monetary value on it.

Regards Clinks

vk4
14th August 2012, 08:33 PM
Clinks ,
Providing Plans are still available??? ( probably a very slim hope), with the cost of Red Cedar and the cost of labour , .

I would be looking at about , $2,500 to $3000 . to build a replacement, and that would be dependent on acquiring a set of plans. This would be conservative, due to the fastenings required, labour (cooper nails & roves) , and getting the red cedar,

Jeff
vk4

Still Smilin'
21st August 2012, 10:50 PM
Wooden building buck, all materials including the correct copper tacks, canvas and filling compound all as per Jerry Stolmeck and Rollin Thurlow's book.....here in Hobart waiting for a chance to be used......

220500 220501 220502