PDA

View Full Version : CS 17 goes 3D

Ludo
14th March 2005, 05:23 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum but thought you might be intrerested. I bought a set of plans to build a Coresound 17 5 weeks ago from http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/. she will be a 17ft cat ketch charpie. Anyway after 5 weeks of playing with flat ply, I finally got her 3D yesterday:D :D :D .
One question where is the best place to buy recycle oregon in Brisvegas(i'm nwe here).

Thanks

Ludo

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
Isaac Asimov

Daddles
14th March 2005, 06:54 PM
Gawd, another bloody workaholic. And there aren't any shavings on the floor!
Dammit man, you're making me look bad :mad:

Looking good Ludo. I've got a mate who keeps salivating over this boat so I'll direct him to this thread. Looking good. I exect to see it at the next Goolwa Wooden Boat Festival :D

Cheers
Richard

ozwinner
14th March 2005, 07:04 PM
I hope the ply and the cable ties are water proof. :p

Al :D

bitingmidge
14th March 2005, 09:44 PM
Ludo,

There are rules about building boats, and one of them is that you aren't supposed to show up your bretheren.

The least you could do for us now is to come on and explain that the five weeks was a typo, and that you meant five MONTHS!!

Well done, keep the pics coming.

BTW, why have you glassed only the compound seam at the pointy end instead of the whole lot? Just curious.
Cheers,

P (And no OZ the cable ties are plastic so they are quite waterproof., and since ply floats, it doesn't matter if there are a few gaps!) :D

Daddles
15th March 2005, 12:53 AM
Sheesh. Oz probably doesn't realise that you've got to leave the cable ties long because they get caught in the shark's teeth and discourage it from going for the terrified crew (now floating in the water of course) :D

Richard

Ludo
15th March 2005, 06:45 AM
Hi Guys,

The construction method being stich and glue, the early stages are quick. So far just cut 3 permanent bulkhead and 1 temporary one (atwartship), then miror cut, scarf joint and glass the 6 lengths of 6mm ply needed for the sides, repeat the operation for the bottom (mix of 9mm and 6mm ply). I also constructed the cradle out of 22mm chipboard, I put wheels on the cradle because as soon as the hull is locked by the epoxy fillet and glass at the chine, i want to be able to store it under the roof of the carport so swmbo can park her car ;) . Midge, there is only glass at the compoud joint for the moment as it is where the bottom and side panels are joined together before stiching the hull (attached picture (not mine) shows sequence of stiching). Next step is to fit the inwales and then fillet and glass all the joints at the chines and keel then sand them :( .
I also attached a picture of the finish boat. What do you think? Hope mine end up looking as good as this one :) .
Midge who you by any chance know of a good salvage yard in brisy as I will need quite a bit of clear well seasoned oregon for my spars ?

Thanks

Ludo

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
Isaac Asimov

Christopha
15th March 2005, 02:11 PM
Great stuff Ludo, keep up the good work and keep us posted please. :D

bitingmidge
15th March 2005, 02:31 PM
Midge who you by any chance know of a good salvage yard in brisy as I will need quite a bit of clear well seasoned oregon for my spars ?

Sorry, I've been out of Bris for a few years. About ten years ago there was a place out Jindalee way called Ironwood, and those guys used to have a lot of demolition oregon as well as hardwood.

I used to buy new and select it, but over the last few years I have gathered a small stockpile for a couple of projects by asking a couple of small house renovation type builders to keep an eye out for me when they are demolishing old pergolas, but the snag is you don't know how good it is until you clean the paint off.

If the spars are solid, you may find it easier to use four pieces glued to a square section (use at least two anyway), but consider making them hollow. The only improvement I can make to my Goat Island Skiff will be to take a third of the weight out of the mast, which will make it much much easier to handle.

Maybe I'll have built a hollow one before you get to that stage and will have posted the procedure?? :D

Cheers,

P :D :D :D

Ludo
15th March 2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks Midge,

I will definetely build hollow mast with the bird'smouth method. There was a great article on the subject in http://www.woodenboat.com/ few years ago (August/September 1999 ). I also found an article http://users2.ev1.net/~fshagan/bm.htm about this.
I am thinking of using the lee valley 8 sides router bit for this. What is your opinion, am I just gonna waste some money and should do it on the table saw?
On another subject, just notice you live in mountain creek. My in-law live there in Monteray Street and I am over there quite often. Maybe we could catch one of those days to share a beer and dream aloud about boat building :D :D :D .

Cheers

Ludo