PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Face Shield on Triton Respirator

GMsweeper
8th August 2012, 06:06 AM
Hi Guys. This is GMsweeper letting you know, that I could't find a face shield replacement for my Triton Powered Respirator. I looked all over the web to find one. The shield was in bad shape, after I tried cleaning it up with some kind of solvent. Duh! It was worse off more than before.
Alas, I came up with an idea, too use a buffing system for reconditioning auto headlight lens. I worked for about 1 1/2 hours, and it turned out quite well. It's a four step process. I was certainly happy, with the results. Hope this can be of help to some of you fellow woodworkers. The product I used was made by 3M Company. Can't remember the exact name of it, but You can look for it on their web site. Have a nice day. Don Bratzke
Evansville, Wisconsin USA

Chief Tiff
8th August 2012, 08:01 AM
That's excellent news; I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago asking if anyone knew a way to polish those faceshields without success. Structurally my faceshield is in good condition but it caught a bit of varnish overspray.

I actually have a headlamp polishing kit in my shed; my fourbie needs it's lamps doing just as soon as I get a "round tuit". This now gives me some incentive!

Many thanks for this tip. I'm still searching for replacements, if I ever find some I'll keep you in mind.

Alby123
8th August 2012, 12:28 PM
G'day GMsweeper, if you do need to replace the clear polycarbonate it is cheaper to go and buy the relevant thickness sheet of polycarbonate and the cut your own. You'll be surprised at how much money you save just by cutting your own safety shields.
Cheers Alby

BobL
8th August 2012, 12:52 PM
G'day GMsweeper, if you do need to replace the clear polycarbonate it is cheaper to go and buy the relevant thickness sheet of polycarbonate and the cut your own. You'll be surprised at how much money you save just by cutting your own safety shields.
Cheers Alby

That will work for face shields that have a simple 1D curve but not so well for others that are curved in 2D like the triton mask. The 2D shields provide much better throat and neck protection so it is well worth replacing these shields with their 2D replacements.

Alby123
8th August 2012, 08:09 PM
Quite right you are Bobl, went looking on the net regarding the Triton respirator face shields and I understand exactly what you mean.
Currently I have a Purelite powered respirator which is the same pattern as one of the Trend powered respirator, I find that in spite of having a battery in the respirator the weight is not an issue. The part I like the best is that there are no hoses or heavy battery packs. As for the visor I'm lucky in that I don't have to buy genuine face shields because it is cheaper and quicker to buy the polycarbonate material to make the shields.

NeilS
12th August 2012, 07:07 PM
The 2D shields provide much better throat and neck protection so it is well worth replacing these shields with their 2D replacements.

Bob - any brand names?

BobL
12th August 2012, 08:56 PM
Bob - any brand names?

Armadillo is one I can think of right now.

NeilS
12th August 2012, 10:10 PM
Armadillo is one I can think of right now.

Thanks, Bob.

Paul39
15th August 2012, 02:59 AM
Alas, I came up with an idea, too use a buffing system for reconditioning auto headlight lens. I worked for about 1 1/2 hours, and it turned out quite well. It's a four step process. I was certainly happy, with the results. Don Bratzke
Evansville, Wisconsin USA

I found that non gel tooth paste works pretty well followed by a tiny bit of Vaseline buffed by hand with a soft cloth.

I used it on a Scott Air Pack fireman's mask that was surplussed because of many scratches and gouges.

The replacement plastic was, if I recall correctly over $100.

Reaper
15th August 2012, 04:35 PM
when you get a new visor put a bit of “acetate” (i think that’s the stuff. its plastic sheeting) over the front of it, i find this helps a lot with things like over spray and splatter or solvents... completely useless against a chip or good scratch but it helps

just keep in mind you may look a bit like a hillbilly

Chief Tiff
15th August 2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks Reaper, maybe what we need are some F1 type "tear-off" visor shields :D

The overspray occurred when I decided to try spraying varnish on a recently completed bookcase; I did it in the shed but didn't realise the respirator was sitting on the shelf. It's only a slight misting; it just means that fine detail is hard to see. It still works ok for dirty jobs like running timber over the jointer but I wouldn't risk my fingers using it on my table saw or router table.

spankingpigeon
17th August 2012, 06:25 PM
now that kingcrome habe bought the rights to manufacture "triton" tools i think these will be coming back

Chief Tiff
17th August 2012, 07:46 PM
I wasn't aware of that; hopefully you'll be on the money.

NeilS
18th August 2012, 10:43 AM
now that kingcrome habe bought the rights to manufacture "triton" tools i think these will be coming back

...if so, they have a very informed consumer group on these forums that would readily help them produce the types of respirators we are all looking for.