PDA

View Full Version : pitosperum

professori_au
8th August 2012, 12:47 PM
Hi All,

Powercor informed my daughter they were coming to cut down the branches of a tree called pitosperum (I think that is its name) and they proposed to chargenher 3-400 dollars.
I told her to tell them to go whistle. She has three disabled kiddies and doesn't need that cost just so powercor can install a smart meter.
I told her I would cut the tree down as it irritated her with the berries and fflowers, casusing asthma.
Now to the point of this thread. I looked at the timber and thought it might be useful for carving or turning. I know nothing of green turning but would like to try it.
question? Is the timber poisonous?. I thought of starting with kitchen utensils such as wooden spoons and forks, cutting boards, etc.
I certainly do not want to poison the family:D
IN Victoria along the coast it is looked on as a pest as its seed germinate easily and although I believe it is an australian native it appears to have become a major wee in the forested lands along the coast
regards

Big_Easy
8th August 2012, 12:59 PM
Depends which sort, but if it's the weed you've identified it's called sweet pittosporum (or pittosporum undulatum to be precise ) then it is a horrible bloody weed, and if chooks Peck at the roots or trunk they die, so I'd definitely wear some protection! Still, if it's got smaller, whitish green leaves and long slender branches, then it's a variegated pittosporum, and apparently is quite a good wood, and recommended on the forum as an extremely white finished timber...but if the leaves are green and glossy then it's the weed.
Make sure you get rid often stump too...they'll regrow from anything.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Avery
8th August 2012, 01:02 PM
From memory, there are over 200 species of pittosporum. Also known as cheeswood.

It is supposed to be OK for turning, but I guess that would much depend on the particular species.

There are no know poisons or allergies associated with it but it would seem that some people are allergic to all sorts of things - so who knows.

robgran
8th August 2012, 01:17 PM
The leaves of Sweet Pittosporum have a wavy edge - i.e. they are not flat.

Another problem with cutting this tree is that it has a lot of sticky sap, which makes your cutting equipment messy.:~

I would suggest finding a different type of tree for experimenting with turning green wood. Eucalypts are O.K. for this, but if you leave the pieces of branch in storage, you might find borers have eaten some of the sapwood. You will need branches thick enough to allow you to remove the sapwood. Choose straight pieces without side branches if possible.

Sometimes green timber will split after turning because the outside dries faster than the centre. Maybe sealing the outside could prevent this?

Wizened of Oz
8th August 2012, 01:29 PM
That's why there's no backyard chooks in Melbourne? They've karked it due to all those Pittosporum hedges.:U:U:U
Pittosporum undulatum native to moist areas of the east Coast as far as Gippsland in Victoria.
Became very popular as a tall hedge in Melbourne, but as a berry-producing plant it is invasive and has spread far beyond it's native range, and even in it's native range it can outcompete other natives.
If you can find a large enough piece it could be fine timber. Don't listen to tales of poisonous timbers. Ask for evidence. You'll find it's nearly always just hearsay and there is absolutely nothing to support the statements. And even where the wood is toxic you could never consume enough to do you any harm.
About 30 years ago the USA nursery industry was being harmed by wild claims about plant toxicity. Dramatic headlines such as "Killers in your lounge room", all based on some book by a self-deluded writer.
Apparently the USA has a very extensive central poisons register, and on consulting this there was not a single confirmed case of fatal poisoning by a plant to be found.

Robson Valley
8th August 2012, 04:52 PM
The original post claimed that the objective is/was to cut down the tree. Simple fact.
(professori_au, I'm PhD LaTrobe/72)
No such thing as a choice of woods for carving. I don't know Pittosporum from soap. My Oz tree books have gone walkabout. Rug up, top it and drop it.
40m trees here cost $100 to bring down, more if fences have to be moved, etc.
For wood carving, I'd be interested in the bottom 3-4m, no more. Turners would love the bigger branch junctions.

We have maybe 500,000 ha of mountain pine beetle killed pine (Pinus contorta).
We can easily arrange a boatload or ten for you. Otherwise, pray for fire. Not worth the chainsaw gas to cut.

rustynail
8th August 2012, 05:39 PM
The old bullockies used to seek it out to feed their bullock teams in areas of poor grazing, so it cant be too toxic.

professori_au
8th August 2012, 10:01 PM
The leaves of Sweet Pittosporum have a wavy edge - i.e. they are not flat.

Another problem with cutting this tree is that it has a lot of sticky sap, which makes your cutting equipment messy.:~

I would suggest finding a different type of tree for experimenting with turning green wood. Eucalypts are O.K. for this, but if you leave the pieces of branch in storage, you might find borers have eaten some of the sapwood. You will need branches thick enough to allow you to remove the sapwood. Choose straight pieces without side branches if possible.

Sometimes green timber will split after turning because the outside dries faster than the centre. Maybe sealing the outside could prevent this?

Hmmh, My apologies for including the quotes. I am not an expert with this reply option.
However, thank You all for your replies.
the desriptions appear to meet this palnt and I agree is bleeds a lot of sap.
$100 would not seem to much. The tree was approximately 40+ feet high.
I decided to do the job myself as I have a small chainsaw. Even at 79, I am still active enough to cope with this size tree, desite hips and back trying to tell me otherwise. I am one of those pigheaded and stubborn sort of critters. My duaghter is alway going crook. The grandchildren think its great Mum going crook at Opa. I tell them Mum and I have a contract. She can go as crook as she likes and Opa agrees to ignore her:U. I have had quite a few years experience clearing timber off the land I built my farm on. Timber that was more than 100ft high.
I will put a piece of this pitosperum in the lathe and see what happens. Then I will try ripping it down to make minuture furniture for the grandchildren. It looks such a nice piece.
Despite the warning of over reactions about poisonous wood I will still be cautious. I think more of the family than to put them in jeopardy:U
Thank you all again, regards

That's why there's no backyard chooks in Melbourne? They've karked it due to all those Pittosporum hedges.:U:U:U
Pittosporum undulatum native to moist areas of the east Coast as far as Gippsland in Victoria.
Became very popular as a tall hedge in Melbourne, but as a berry-producing plant it is invasive and has spread far beyond it's native range, and even in it's native range it can outcompete other natives.
If you can find a large enough piece it could be fine timber. Don't listen to tales of poisonous timbers. Ask for evidence. You'll find it's nearly always just hearsay and there is absolutely nothing to support the statements. And even where the wood is toxic you could never consume enough to do you any harm.
About 30 years ago the USA nursery industry was being harmed by wild claims about plant toxicity. Dramatic headlines such as "Killers in your lounge room", all based on some book by a self-deluded writer.
Apparently the USA has a very extensive central poisons register, and on consulting this there was not a single confirmed case of fatal poisoning by a plant to be found.

The original post claimed that the objective is/was to cut down the tree. Simple fact.
(professori_au, I'm PhD LaTrobe/72)
No such thing as a choice of woods for carving. I don't know Pittosporum from soap. My Oz tree books have gone walkabout. Rug up, top it and drop it.
40m trees here cost $100 to bring down, more if fences have to be moved, etc.
For wood carving, I'd be interested in the bottom 3-4m, no more. Turners would love the bigger branch junctions.

We have maybe 500,000 ha of mountain pine beetle killed pine (Pinus contorta).
We can easily arrange a boatload or ten for you. Otherwise, pray for fire. Not worth the chainsaw gas to cut.