PDA

View Full Version : Pro Disaster.

wheelinround
9th August 2012, 10:31 AM
Many of us are scared of this happening it makes us think what can eventuate from this sort of thing.

His lathe has a guard many do not. I'd hate to have seen what could have happened if he had lowered the guard what direction and damage could that piece do then because it could not escape in the direction of forces natural.

I try reading each piece of timber I put on the lathe, I was taught by Darrell Smith at OTGA if its sus use a screw driver and see how much force is required to break it. If it can be salvaged with CA, epoxy or just glue then ok. If it breaks you have saved yourself a trip possibly to emergency.

This Pro should have used the screw driver method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlhWF4M9CO4&feature

wood hacker
9th August 2012, 11:21 AM
Ouch!!!!! There's leasons in that for all of us I think. I might have to actually use my face shield rather than just the safety specs.:C

BobL
9th August 2012, 12:13 PM
As I have learned there are also face shields and there are face shields. While any face shield is better than none, the 2D curved shields are able to offer better protection than those curved in one direction.

Apart from the improved neck and chin protection provided by the 2D shields, the 1D shields are too easily able to be flatten and bend, even inwards, under heavy impact driving the shield into the operators face. The 2D curved shields will not deform anywhere near as easily and spread the load to the edges of the shield reducing the impact on any one point.

I experienced this when using a Chainsaw mill and a large 25 mm adjustment nut fell off the mil and landed on the chain moving at 60 mph. The nut struck me on the 1D curved face shield right between the eyes and the shield bent backwards and drove my prescription glasses into my face. It felt like I had been struck in the face by a cricket bat. On a 2D shield it would have just bounced off the structurally more rigid surface of the shield.

wheelinround
9th August 2012, 02:42 PM
Had more thought on his comment of a shield on the lathe.

If he had a large dia bowl or platter out board turning what shield would he have used then?

This video is a warning to myself also as I have some large 14"+ to 24" dia to do in the future.

RETIRED
9th August 2012, 04:56 PM
He didn't have the shield in place.

dai sensei
9th August 2012, 08:03 PM
Scary stuff :o

He could have saved it though. Clean up the rotten wood back to some solid stuff, then cast epoxy resin in the difference, or stabilise the rotten stuff and glue back up :rolleyes:.

Mobyturns
9th August 2012, 08:40 PM
Lucky, I don't think so. Crotch pieces are always risky. Unfortunately there have been at least 2 woodturners killed world wide in the past few years & possibly another young lady from Yale Uni, though its believed her fatal accident was incorrectly reported as wood turning. Then there are all the near misses...

BobL
9th August 2012, 09:16 PM
. . . . possibly another young lady from Yale Uni, though its believed her fatal accident was incorrectly reported as wood turning.

She was using a metal working lathe and her hair got caught in the chuck and she died of asphyxiation.

Christos
10th August 2012, 09:00 AM
Not the best situation to have happen(I know a little bit understated) but at least he did not end up killing himself.

We would not have seen the results and would not be aware. I should say good on him for posting this.

Sawdust Maker
11th August 2012, 02:13 PM
Ouch

Apart from the improved neck and chin protection provided by the 2D shields, the 1D shields are too easily able to be flatten and bend, even inwards, under heavy impact driving the shield into the operators face. The 2D curved shields will not deform anywhere near as easily and spread the load to the edges of the shield reducing the impact on any one point.

To quote a rather annoying ad ... "where do yageditt"

Arry
11th August 2012, 02:36 PM
Wow, I wasn't going to get a faceshield until a friend came over and helped me setup the lathe.

He suggested I get one, I thought about it for 2 secs and went and got one.......

hughie
11th August 2012, 09:09 PM
Good one Ray and a reminder to all of us.

BobL
11th August 2012, 09:25 PM
Ouch

To quote a rather annoying ad ... "where do yageditt"

I got mine from Mitre 10 but there are plenty others out there.
If I was buying again I would consider an "Armadillo"

Mobyturns
11th August 2012, 11:26 PM
+1 on the Armadillo, Meets high impact to AS1337. Great protection at arround $30, plus each bit is replaceable!

Protector Alsafe | Prosafe Face and Eye Protection (http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/3abc9828#/3abc9828/14)

RETIRED
12th August 2012, 12:08 AM
+1 on the Armadillo, Meets high impact to AS1337. Great protection at arround $30, plus each bit is replaceable!

Protector Alsafe | Prosafe Face and Eye Protection (http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/3abc9828#/3abc9828/14)Second that.:wink: Wear nothing else.

Christos
12th August 2012, 10:11 AM
..... Wear nothing else.

Not going to visit if he only has his birthday suit and a helmet! :o

Tim the Timber Turner
12th August 2012, 04:22 PM
Wear nothing else.

Don't the chips get caught in your -----?

Cheers

Tim:)

angryranga
13th August 2012, 09:04 AM
Ouch, I'm going to get that new faceshield today, being putting it off for too long.

orraloon
13th August 2012, 11:46 AM
It is a good thing to be reminded of the dangers now and then. It is also a shame that some of the most striking looking turnigs are in the higher risk range.
Regards
John

spankingpigeon
17th August 2012, 07:52 PM
i just got myself one of these are they any good ?
http://www.prochoice.com.au/products/Protective_Eyewear/Visor_Accessories/Assembled_Browguard_with_Visor_-_BGVC.aspx

Ueee
19th August 2012, 12:40 AM
My late Grandfather has his nose broken in a very similar fashion....one moment your turning, the next there is claret everywhere......
I'm picking up his lathe from Taree next month.....i'm rather lax when it comes to safety but a face shield will be high on my priorities list.

robo hippy
22nd August 2012, 09:33 AM
Well, first, you can turn pieces that are questionable, as in might come apart when turning. Thing is, you have to be able to tell that it might happen, and this guy didn't seem to have a clue.

Second, never stand in the line of fire. If you watch, just before the explosion, he bends over for a closer look.

If he had bent over another inch or two, he would have been in the emergency room at best, and even the most heavy duty face mask would not have helped.

robo hippy

Paul39
26th August 2012, 03:29 PM
If I have the least suspicion that a bowl might come apart, I'll carefully do the outside and put a few wraps of duct tape around it.

After it is rough hollowed I carefully inspect and then go on, or glue, or quit.