PDA

View Full Version : Learning a Turn

Christos
9th August 2012, 11:39 AM
Some of you might already know that I am new to turing and for the most part have only been doing between center turnings. Mainly the odd smaller items, such as pens, key rings, the odd wasting of wood to practics.

To turn a bowl has not happen with only two attempts, the first flying off the lathe and out the garage door, the second looking very bad with heaps of chip.

So I needed to get an idea of the process and the steps from a square piece of wood to something looking like a bowl.

I was fortunate enough to visit Wheelinround who agreeded to give some instructions.

I took a few pieces of wood to his house along with my tools and after he stopped laughing :lbs:we discussed the process.

As I had a limited amount of tools it was really just understanding what to look out for when turning. I have yet to meet anyone who enjoys getting a catch. :oo:

The bowl is not finished as we ran out of time but that was really my fault as more talking was done then actual turing. :U

wheelinround
9th August 2012, 11:50 AM
:2tsup: Christos you did very well.

I am no pro by any means much info stored away from school years, info gained from watching, reading a lot on this forum. I must admit tho I am different and just had to get in and have a go. I have 3 trades behind me which I have learned of what machines can do to a human body I AM STILL LEARNING.

I enjoyed your visit a great deal sorry I had to push to get started but as you said to much talking not enough working LOL We started about 1045 cutting blanks 4 in all and then setting up etc stopped for lunch and back into it till about 3.30.

Here he is in all his safety gear a small 7" approx bowl not sure of the wood looked and smelt like Sydney Blue gum prior turning lovely colour.

Not much to finish it off Christos now gentle does it.:;:p

Christos
9th August 2012, 12:23 PM
Thank you for uploading the photos. I have had a little bit of trouble from where I am at the moment. Some more photos to come and hoping to have this finished by the weekend.

Pat
9th August 2012, 12:26 PM
Ray, less flapping the gums, more Christos on the lathe:;

wheelinround
9th August 2012, 02:34 PM
Ray, less flapping the gums, more Christos on the lathe:;

I had to get the :whip: out on him Pat

He wanted to experience a blow out I said he should go down and see you.:q Expert at it.:;

Christos
9th August 2012, 03:12 PM
..He wanted to experience a blow out I said he should go down and see you.:q Expert at it.:;

Shed that looks like swiss cheese. :doh::U

Christos
9th August 2012, 10:47 PM
I took the photo of the apprentice doing the sanding.

Another photo of the apprentice cutting out the blank.

wheelinround
10th August 2012, 11:23 AM
Nothing like team work eh Christos :U I am always willing to learn new ways.:2tsup:

Christos
12th August 2012, 10:07 AM
Here is the finished bowl.

I finished this with Shellwax Glow and quite happy that it did not explode. The final cuts were taken very slowly but got a little rough as the wood is porous.

This is my first bowl since leaving high school.

Please comment on what you think, just no swear words. :)

Paul39
12th August 2012, 10:29 AM
Here is the finished bowl.
This is my first bowl since leaving high school. :)

Pretty darn nice. I have found with the roughness (tear out) sometimes nothing will do but sand, sand, sand.

Sometimes I cheat a bit by wet sanding using 180 or 220 grit and copious tung oil, which is what I use to finish most my bowls.

This takes the fine sanded off particles and deposits them in the tear out. Let dry a day or two, then dry sand and inspect.

I have had a few pieces with crazy grain that had to have 3 - 5 mm sanded off. It is slow work but usually worth the trouble.

Get some wood from someones burn pile and keep turning. Nothing like a little instruction and a hundred hours in front of the lathe to make you proficient.

wheelinround
12th August 2012, 10:36 AM
I still see dry spots Christos around the rim You did well Grasshopper :2tsup:

What Paul said thats why I often have spray bottle of water handy or oil as a finish instead of wax type finishes

artme
12th August 2012, 10:52 AM
Great to see that Ray has put his talents, and his generosity, to good use yet again.

Well done both of you!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

hughie
12th August 2012, 05:55 PM
Well Christos, no matter how good anybody is now, they all started at the same place, where you are now :U :2tsup:.

wheelinround
12th August 2012, 09:08 PM
Well Christos, no matter how good anybody is now, they all started at the same place, where you are now :U :2tsup:.

Your dead right there Hughie.:2tsup:

Some are lucky enough to become pro's (paid) in a very short time.

Others not worried about becoming a pro just enjoying the solitude, art, shed time and mateship.

The latter I have found my hobby woodworking can bring.

Christos
13th August 2012, 07:27 PM
Thank you for the comments I am hoping to absorb as much as possible.