PDA

View Full Version : Nova scroll chuck

John Saxton
2nd November 2000, 07:10 PM
I have a couple of Nova scroll chucks one with a right hand thread and the other with a left hand thread.Both chucks have 10 TPI threaded inserts.
I am a little intrigued that according to my local bloke Teknatool(who is an agent for them) don't do a combination right and left hand threaded insert in 10 TPI.
The problem is that I wish to have more versatility hence the dual threaded insert.
The way I see it at present is either buy a new chuck or have the headstock spindle changed to a different thread as I'm getting a little bit of run-out and that probem will have to be addressed with new bearings etc.But at present it is not excessive and not creating undue vibration and not wishing to bleed the Visa too much at the present,I wonder if anyone has any practical suggestions?
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

RFNK
4th November 2000, 12:30 AM
Teknatool isn't the name of the agent, it's the name of the manufacturer. Teknatool is a New Zealand company, and a pleasure to deal with. I hate to say it but, bypass the local outlets and go straight to the source in NZ. It's well worth the phonecall. I'm pretty sure they're based in Auckland.

RETIRED
4th November 2000, 08:03 AM
Gooday.

John, if you have a tame local engineer you can have one tapped out.

Use the left hand threaded one and get him to tap a right hand thread in it.

Why the LHT? Because RH taps are cheaper. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

John Saxton
5th November 2000, 09:22 AM
That,s an idea worth considering .I,m awaiting a response to my e-mail from Teknatool in Auckland first to see whether I have any luck with them.
Hey Rick, yeah I was aware that Teknatool is the name of the manufacturer it was just my badly phrased wording.
In fact I have been out to their factory in Auckland where I picked up a scroll chuck cheaper than what I could get it here by not having to pay duty on it.Certainly worth considering if over in NZ.

RFNK
5th November 2000, 11:50 PM
Sorry John! By the way, you don't have to go to NZ for cheaper deals. It's actually cheaper to send over for stuff as you then avoid NZ tax. You also avoid the Aust. tax, as long as whatever you order is under umm... about $300 I think. I've ordered Kelton gear that way and saved quite a bit.

John Saxton
6th November 2000, 03:46 PM
Thanks for that info Rick.That is a handy piece of info to tuck away.
We're planning some hiking walks over in NZ next year so I'll take the opportunity to have another visit to the factory,or failing that pick up some Kelton stuff to bring back as well.
Just got an e-mail from Roger Latimer at Teknatool who advises that an insert is not available with both a right and left threaded combination,so I guess I shall take Robbos suggestion on board and proceed from there.

------------------
Johnno

RFNK
7th November 2000, 07:16 PM
Just another tip John. When I bought my Kelton centre saver, I had a friend in NZ who I asked to pick it up. However, it turned out to be about $100 cheaper (might have been $60?) to have Kelton actually send it to me in Oz. That's because if you buy it in NZ you pay their local tax.The Kelton people i.e., Kel Mc, are great to deal with by the way. Please say HI from Rick at Mallabula if you do go there.

Iain
8th November 2000, 07:05 AM
Import duty and sales tax will not be collected by Customs if the amount is A$50 or less. In reality it can sometimes exceed this and at Christmas there is such a rush on a lot more gets through. Just calculate the total and work it out from there.

John Saxton
8th November 2000, 07:58 AM
Thanks for those thoughts, which is wholely and solely the great part about this BB.

------------------
Johnno

haemish762
9th October 2005, 07:00 PM
Hey there i have a herbert home workshop mod c, it is fairly old but works very well. I would like to get back into bowl turning and was wondering if anyone out there knows if the nova chucks fit this lathe. I do not know what thread it is though. I live in sydney and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to somewhere these are sold or where i can get the info. I wanted to get a chuck that would last, i have heard some bad stories of the chinese cheepies, i dont want the risk.

Also has anyone heard of a chuck that was designed by Michael Leadbetter for bowl turning. I used one a t uni, but have not seen them since.

Cheers Haemish

rsser
9th October 2005, 07:30 PM
For buying from overseas, ordinary posting rather than couriers is less likely to attact the attention of Customs. You can also ask the poster to mark the declaration as 'gift', but this would be an attempt to avoid duties and of course you wouldn't want to be seen to act illegally.

Edit: oh, and there's the issue of supporting local retailers as well.

Jim Carroll
11th October 2005, 08:27 AM
John getting back to your problem with the insert.
You may find that by doing both threads there may not be enough thread left once you tap both ways.
One of the reasons teknatool made the mercury lathe with 1" x 8 is that it matches up very well without too much materail loss.
I would stick to what you have and get another chuck.