PDA

View Full Version : Sabot Mast

Gus
15th March 2005, 02:10 PM
Hi, I'm looking for plans / specifications for constructing a mast and boom for a Sabot. I've just been offered the rest of the boat and want to now how hard it would be to repair.
GUS :confused:

Daddles
15th March 2005, 03:22 PM
There'd have to be a Sabot class website somewhere. Have you tried that?

Richard

Gus
15th March 2005, 03:27 PM
Had a pretty good google and only came up with competition specs. Was really after some technical drawings of the mast assembly or a plan for the whole thing.
GUS

Ludo
15th March 2005, 07:43 PM
Hi Gus,

You will find a plan for the sabot at http://www.dngoodchild.com/5850.htm
There is no detail for the mast construction but you could extrapolate the dimension from this plan. Best to build a hollow mast, either box section or bird's mouth, as weight is a big handicap in such a small boat.
Hope this help.

Cheers

Ludo

barnsey
15th March 2005, 10:04 PM
Built mine when I was 16 and had the old man doing the drawing interpretation but as I remember started with a clear oregon blank which was split in 1/2 and tapered appropriately through the band saw. Clamped together again and spokeshaved/planed till I was happy with the shape.

A stanley rabbet plane with the 1/2 round blade of the right size and the fence was used to get the profiles in each half for the sail bead and a block plane to give the clearance on the the sail completed the job before gluing and finishing.

Was much the same with the boom which was parallel.

I actually brute forced the boat in 30 kt N winds at Rosebud regularly with 5' of water shooting up the plate case. That mast and boom were a piece of power for that little boat. It got registered A class but I never raced her because I was too old at the time. I was busy racing the old clinker cadet dinghies at RMYS but thats another story.

FWIW

Jamie

Dan
15th March 2005, 10:29 PM
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure mine was oregon also (near on 20 years ago :eek: ). Not 100% sure about the mast as it had a very dark stain applied before the varnish (and I didn't see it get made). But the boom was definitely oregon. It's all fiberglass and aluminium these days :(