PDA

View Full Version : Pyromaniac

Timbacare
10th August 2012, 06:59 PM
Well .... not really but thought it might get a few laughs!

This is something else I've just started to dabble in .. got a simple one temp pen type tool and been having a good play about. Haven't burnt myself yet ....

So, where did everyone get their Pyrography tools from? eBay, hobby shops?
Anything I should avoid when I take the next step and get a decent machine?

Any input welcome :cool:

KCH
14th August 2012, 03:37 PM
Hi
Hampton Park Vic? The Working with Wood Show is on at the Showgrounds in October. Great place to watch demos and a try out different machines. Carroll's Woodwork Supplies had a guest demonstrator (Doug Bell) last year and he may be there again this year. I spent a pleasant half hour learning some of his techniques. My machine is a Burnmaster Eagle (dual port but one is enough as you can only use 1 at a time:U) and I love it. The Burnmaster Hawk (single port) looks good as well especially with the 10 different nib pens included.
Are you a member of a woodies club? There are several out there who have pyrography sessions.

Kaye

Jim Carroll
14th August 2012, 07:20 PM
As Kaye has indicated we will have Doug Bell demonstrating the Razertip Woodburners and other things to go with pyrography at the Melbourne Timber & Working With Wood Show .

He will also be at the Canbera show in a couple of weeks doing his thing with the burner.

The show is an ideal time to sit down and have a go and get some essential tips on starting burning or improving what you do.

Timbacare
15th August 2012, 07:13 PM
Will most defiantly go to that then .... great! :U

vk4
15th August 2012, 10:29 PM
Timbercare,

Check out E-Bay, there are some second hand units around , I brought a small unit from Deception Bay , which is hand made, however it does not conform to Electrical safety standards, and while it is safe , ( had a friend check it out )(Electrical engineer), the unit has a slow recovery time, and is a bit limited.

This unit is a small black box with turned wooden hand piece.

I would recommend , Ironcore, Razor tip, Etc.but be prepared to spend $250.00+++ ,

Jeff
vk4

Timbacare
16th August 2012, 07:42 PM
HI VK4 ....

I LOVE eBay .... been haunting them from almost the day they started .... so I've been looking and asking questions of buyers ... found this a couple of weeks ago.

HARD WOOD & LEATHER PYROGRAPHY TOOL | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=261046961232&nma=true&rt=nc&si=xhaL3rGvcofCncZa3JURI5dFm1U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_1466wt_1397)

The seller has more and I've spoken to a few Aussies who had gotten one and they're happy with the unit. Even found an adaptor and the right size wire.

So ... seriously considering getting one. Just a a step up from the soldering iron I'm using as it's useless and doesn't encourage me to want to use it. Figure this is a better start to the art.

KCH
16th August 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi Timbercare
Check out the postage before you commit. I have had a few not so good postage quotes from good ole USA. Yeeks!!
Kaye

Timbacare
16th August 2012, 10:05 PM
This ones from the Ukraine ... :wink: Postage is reasonable too ...

Still thinking about this one. Doing some research first before I decide to go for it or not.

vk4
18th August 2012, 09:16 AM
Timbercare,

I have had a look at the tool,/

You can only use very fine wire, of .6mm or less. I have a similar small unit and although they do work, their recovery rate is slower.

Also they must meet AUST Electrical Standards, .

Jeff
vk4

PS.

there is a unit for$167.00 available from Melbourne, on E-Bay, this is a german unit and looks to be a better piece of equipment,
The Urkainian tool is really only a low voltage Transformer and Variable resistor , If you note the restrictions >.6mm wire ,not less than 30mm long, you will see that the tool would be border line.

vk4

Timbacare
18th August 2012, 12:21 PM
Thank you vk4 :U That's exactly the sort of stuff I needed to know. :2tsup:

mythicagothiga
17th October 2012, 11:03 AM
Just want to point out that the Ironcore (and am happy to be proven wrong) is the only machine that I know of that has an Australian Standard. This means that insurance companies will be much happier with you if you accidentally set fire to the house when leaving the machine on near a curtain.

Also, I have used one type of nib (the type that came with the machine) for 15 years and every time I try and make new ones, I find the original one the best. I have only ever thought changing the gauge of the wire beneficial for finer work but even then, can still do it all with the one nib.

One more note. The ND-1 doesn't have a variable temperature control so it is impossible to turn down to very low temperatures. This has caused problems for a few of my students and even another professional pyrographer realised how much of an issue it was when given an ironcore and it was obviously reflected in her work.

Razertip is my second choice after Ironcore but can have trouble with hot handles and electricity transfer into the hand where the cables join.

I also have had my Ironcore for 15 years, dragged it around to shows and knocked it around quite a lot and have only just had it service with a new handle for $80.

Anyway, just my opinion and experiences.