PDA

View Full Version : Power Carving attachments - used in turning

smidsy
15th March 2005, 11:13 PM
Hei Guys,
Before anyone jumps on me for an OT post I am putting this here because I want to hear from woodturners about this.

Got a big lump of jarrah that is massively out of balance, it even made a Vicmarc 3000 walk.
Someone at my club suggested a power carver as a means of balancing the wood - mount the wood on the lathe and turn it by hand using a power carver to trim it down to a point where it's balanced enough to turn.
Anyone ever done this, could I get by with a carving disk or do I need a proper carver.
Cheers
Paul

PS Carbatec, you should take a look at Timebcons website - you guys are better than them on product and service but you're losing business to them because their website is so much better.

Gingermick
16th March 2005, 07:34 AM
Could find no timbecons website on google. Can you post a link please?
Cheers
Mick

Jim Carroll
16th March 2005, 07:43 AM
One option is the Rotary chisel or the arbortech . Both have tungsten carbide teeth and are good for quick removal of timber. They fit onto your angle grinder.

Another option is a small chainsaw to get it closer to round before you put it onto the lathe.

burn
16th March 2005, 09:42 AM
Could find no timbecons website on google. Can you post a link please?
Cheers
Mick

Try
http://www.timbecon.com.au

rsser
16th March 2005, 08:54 PM
What do you mean by a carving disc Paul?

As Jim says, there are devices to fit to a small angle grinder. A cheap option is the Arbortech 4" 'chain saw tooth' wheel without a guard. Or even more basic is a mini-adze and some elbow grease - some old time burl carvers do it this way.

Or add some lead weights to balance your piece.

smidsy
19th March 2005, 01:36 AM
Hei Ern,
Someone at my turning club suggested a power carver as a means of getting a blank closer to balance for initial turning.

I've looked on the net, and you get stuff ranging from what looks like a powered wood chisel to what are effectively grinding wheels for wood.
All this is for to take off wood to a point where I can turn the blank safely on the lathe so I may try one of the angle grinder wheels and see how it goes.

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
19th March 2005, 02:03 AM
Paul, just confirming what I said in your other post. It was my arbotech anglegrinder cutter that they saw at the club.

Ave a good weekend

:)

smidsy
19th March 2005, 02:09 AM
Hei Joe,
I may get one of the cheap wheels and see how it goes, it's not really something I want to spend money on though.
Cheers
Paul

rsser
19th March 2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah; arbortech 4" wheel without guard cost me about $37.