PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a circle 40mm in Diameter

Arry
13th August 2012, 08:14 PM
HI

I need to cut a number of circles that are 40mm in diameter.

My biggest forstner bit is smaller than this and I think it will be too tight for my bansaw jig and my bandsaw.

I guess it needs to be done on a router or with my belt and disc sander.

I have a router and router table as well if anyone has a good way of doing it.

Cheers

BobL
13th August 2012, 08:22 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/router-circle-cutting-jig-34811/

Chief Tiff
13th August 2012, 08:36 PM
Do you have a bench/pedestal drill and a set of holesaws? If so I can describe a way to do it safely without a pilot hole needed. The disc will need to be smoothed on a disc sander afterwards though.

Or....

Do you know anyone with a lathe who can turn you a 40mm cylinder and part off some discs for you.

Arry
13th August 2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks Bob, I will have a proper read of that possibly later tonight or tomorrow morning. Scanning quickly through it, looks like a wonderful idea !

Yes I have a drill press and set of holesaws, but they are cheap holessaws, basically rubbish to tell you the truth.

I also have a lathe but I do not need the discs as such.

I want to make 40mm holes in plywood to fit in a 240v standard Aussie plug.

Cheers

Handyjack
15th August 2012, 07:43 PM
Use a suitable sized hole saw.

Chief Tiff
15th August 2012, 07:47 PM
Adjustable boring bit in a drill, the type used for cutting holes in water tanks etc. Some have one cutter, some have two. Once you've drilled the 1/4" pilot hole, swap the drill bit with a 1/4" rod to keep it central.

rod1949
15th August 2012, 10:19 PM
HI

I need to cut a number of circles that are 40mm in diameter.

My biggest forstner bit is smaller than this ....

:C then buy a 40mm forstner bit :doh::doh:or a 40mm auger bit :doh::doh:or a 40mm drill bit :doh::doh:

Robson Valley
16th August 2012, 10:43 AM
Take a look at how I shape abalone/clam/scallop shell for my wood carvings (in the Wood Carving & Sculpture forum.) In another thread, you will see 50mm abalone shell inlaid eyes in my Pair of big Ravens. Maybe that gives you some ideas that you can pick out.

Arry
16th August 2012, 01:50 PM
Cheers guys