PDA

View Full Version : Portable generators

offshoresa65s
13th August 2012, 10:03 PM
Hi

Looking at getting a portable generator.

Sometimes a Li ion cordless just won't cut it and I want to use my 2000watt Makita circular saw out in the field.

Previous camping experiences have always put me off portable generators, annoying background noise, smelly and back in the early days, really expensive.

I confess, I'm looking at this model from Bunnings:

AEG 2400W 4 Stroke Generator AGN2400B - Bunnings Warehouse (http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_aeg-2400w-4-stroke-generator-agn2400b_1083.aspx)

It's only $500 and I won't be using it every day.

I'm sure it's probably made in china, but I'm old enough to remember when things from Japan were held in low esteem when they first started to export electronics to Australia.

I could spend more money if I wanted, but this has wheels and this appeals to my aged back.

Any one have experience with this sort of generator, or have an opinion on the matter?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.

O

rwbuild
13th August 2012, 10:43 PM
No problems.

All ways turn the fuel supply off and let the motor drain the carby dry.

When you first get it run it as much as possible in the shortest time and get the hrs up to change the oil, then run for 15min to circulate the new oil.

Run it for 15min a minimum of once per month with some load on the generator, helps keep the governor healthy.

Always keep the fuel tank full in storage, stops condensation in the tank and associated problems,

Use a safety power board (portable RCD) when using any tools.

Happy camping!

bsrlee
14th August 2012, 02:35 AM
Popular opinion with the camping & 4WD set is to get the Honda 20UI. Relatively quiet, reliable, parts readily available. Of course you will be paying $1800 or so.

You need to look carefully at the noise rating. Really carefully. Most of the 'cheaper' generators are NOT 'quiet' and do not produce 'pure sine wave' AC power. Honda is rated at 53Dba, and that is noticeable at close range but not offensive - a few Dba increase means DOUBLE the noise output, its not a straight scale increase. Most of the cheaper generators produce some sort of bastard chopped waveform - basically a square wave that is just DC with the polarity swapped 60 times a second.

They should be OK for running power tools but not anything which really expects mains voltage like computer re-chargers, microwaves or anything with 'smart' electronics. Again, look carefully at the rated power output - the box usually states the momentary peak output, the continuous output is around 70-80% of peak. Running at peak for more than a few seconds can stall or damage the generator. Again, OK for power tools which have a high demand on startup but which actually run at 30-50% of that current.

On the subject of fuel - do NOT run the generator on petrol with ethanol in it & leave any trace of it in the tank - it will cause all sorts of problems which are very expensive to fix - look up 'varnishing'. Either drain the tank completely if you are leaving it for more than a few days or use 'premium' unleaded from a reliable servo (some are shonks & put E10 or worse in all their tanks)

A 'Net search will turn up a heap of info on generators, some of it of limited use as its quite old & the better quality (Honda, Yamaha) generators have improved a lot, but it is still relevant to the bottom end of the market.

Rickey Herb
14th August 2012, 12:44 PM
I have one of these and find it quite good considering what I paid for it. https://www.bbta.com.au/products.php?product=BBT-3.5KW-Inverter-Generator

Starts easily and will run my Bosch 1800 watt mitre saw. Only issue is that the low oil cut out is very sensitive. Have to make sure the generator is level other wise it will cut out. Noise level is as expected. Has an economy mode. Hard to justify the price of the Honda and Yamaha generators I reckon.

Rickey

offshoresa65s
24th August 2012, 11:29 AM
Hi

Spoke with Tech support for the distributer of AEG generators.

His advice was that the unit that I linked earlier would not be suitable for any thing with "electronics".

Still not sure if that covers my 18 month old Engel fridge?

Cheers

O

Dylan_Honda_PE
3rd December 2012, 03:32 PM
Hi offshore,

Just wondering how you went with your generator choice? My name's Dylan and I actually work for Honda Power Equipment. Obviously I'd be pushing you towards our flagship EU20i generator, but I'm interested to hear your decision and for what reason?

Please let me know if you have any Honda-related questions and I'll do my best to help!

Cheers,
Dylan

offshoresa65s
9th December 2012, 11:13 AM
Hi

Sorry for long delay in getting back.

No progress so far. I had a friend buy one of these BBT 3.5KW Inverter Generator - Bigger Boyz Toyz (http://www.bbta.com.au/products.php?product=BBT-3.5KW-Inverter-Generator)

It then promptly broke the plastic choke mechanism, still waiting to hear how he gets on.

Honda's while being nice are very expensive.

I am still thinking how much I want to spend. It's a lot of dollars just sitting on the shed floor for occasional use.

Jobs tend to be prioritised to whats needed around the house at the moment and main focus recently has been slashing and fire minimisation.

Cheers

O

Rickey Herb
9th December 2012, 12:22 PM
It then promptly broke the plastic choke mechanism, still waiting to hear how he gets on.

Very funny! I bought one as well and also broke the choke mechanism. I just took the cover over so I could get to the choke and it works fine. I have been using mine a fair bit (3 to 4 hours a weekend) and some times for a full day when mixing mud and it is working just fine. No problems at all and starts first pull every time but does need the choke on even when hot.

Time will tell on how long it will last but I'm happy so far.

Rickey

seanlark
5th July 2013, 01:27 AM
I have the EU20i Honda 4 stroke and it has done a variety of things - eg over 2 days drilled big and long fence holes in 900 tough tallow wood posts. I thought the 2000w size would limit it but the weight and reliable start and quietness has been a boon. Bear in mind compare actual or effective watt output (not sure if this is the right term?) as they generally produce less than stated. Regards Sean