PDA

View Full Version : Canberra ply wood suppliers

Red Gum
14th August 2012, 05:30 PM
I will be travelling to Canberra in a few weeks time and while there I would like to pick up some plywood for both pyoghrapghy and scrolling.

Can someone from Canberra direct me to a good supplier including their address. I will be looking for small pieces so that I can transport them in my station wagon type car.

also any advise on what type of ply to use would also be apreciated.

Red Gum

mythicagothiga
17th October 2012, 10:51 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying and guess it may be too late but thought some tips on plywood may be useful.

I don't like any plywood supplied by Bunnings and went to their Canberra supplier, spent more and still didn't like the quality. I have, however, found a supplier of, I think, birch(can't quite remember if it was birch or beech but think it was birch) plywood but the sheets are huge and expensive for one sheet. I will, however, be getting some to test and on sell to my pyro students as I believe it will be of much better quality.

If you are interested at all, the place is called Turners Building Supplies at 35 Collie Street in Fyshwick.

The only other type I think gives a reasonable quality burn is marine ply but is a little more expensive than standard hoop pine ply.

Jonzjob
21st October 2012, 09:46 PM
The best ply that I have found is Russian birch ply. Very good quality and not possible to get it here in France, but possibly available in Auzzy?

mythicagothiga
22nd October 2012, 10:46 AM
It seems we are quite limited here in Australlia when it comes to plywood types. The plywood I have just sourced I think it is a birch but is only available in very large sheets and is reasonably expensive. I do think it is the best option for us locally as I don't like the idea of sourcing it anywhere else in the country and having it delivered.

It is very interesting to know what is available in other countries, though.

Robson Valley
23rd October 2012, 06:03 AM
I can buy "Baltic" birch plywood in various sizes and thicknesses in hobby/craft stores.
I'd have to go to the city for that.
I'm sure there's cost added for a big sheet simply because finding clear wood that big
is a real prize when compared with smaller bits of veneer sheet maybe 30x60cm.