PDA

View Full Version : sheoke vase

turnerted
15th August 2012, 05:46 PM
Here's a vase I finished recently. It was turned to finish size green and went way out of round when drying which made final sanding a pain as I couldn't do it on the lathe under power.There was was only minimal checking on the endgrain as you can see .I dried this one by putting it in a cardboard box and packing the shavings round the outside of it.The theory being that it would dry preferentualy from the inside and put less stress on it. It seems to have worked .
The diamensions are ,width one way 200mm and the other way 185mm. The height is 200mm and the finish is DO.
Hope you like it .Comments welcome.
Ted

wheelinround
15th August 2012, 06:01 PM
Nice ted looks as if t could have blown anytime.

smiife
15th August 2012, 08:13 PM
hi ted,
very nice looking vase,and well finished
you should be proud of that one:cool::cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

orificiam
15th August 2012, 08:14 PM
Beautiful Work Ted, Congratulation,

Cheers Tony.:)

mick59wests
15th August 2012, 09:29 PM
nice vase Ted :2tsup:. I like the green turned vases / bowls that take their own shape. How did you go with the bottom and it sitting well? With any bowl I have turned green the bottom has always been a problem for me to get it to sit properly afterwards.

As an aside, Burwood...... I lived in Concord and went to school at the Christian Brothers (which I think has closed shop recently) and in more recent times worked at Burwood. A very interesting area.

cheers

Mick

TTIT
15th August 2012, 10:51 PM
Top job with a timber that can really try your patience :2tsup:

H.......I dried this one by putting it in a cardboard box and packing the shavings round the outside of it.The theory being that it would dry preferentualy from the inside and put less stress on it. ...............I do the same thing by just wrapping the outside with newspaper and letting the inside breathe - works well for the majority of timbers :shrug:

dr4g0nfly
16th August 2012, 06:56 AM
And you turned it across the grain, holding the pith without cracking.

Nice job you've done there. :2tsup:

angryranga
16th August 2012, 07:39 AM
Very Nice indeed ted:2tsup:

turnerted
16th August 2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the comments.
Mick. Removeing the tennon and finishing the base was a challange.
Fortunatly I had left a nub in the middle of the tennon from when it was between centres . I turned up a lump of scrap which would just fit through the neck,which was oval of course,and touched on the bottom.I was then able to mount the vase between centres , with the base towards the tailstock and turn most of the tennon away .Mounting it this way round minimised the effect of the distortion.I cut the last little bit with a saw . I then fitted my jacobs chuck in the headstock with a cone velcro fitting ,held the vase in my hands ,and sanded off the nub. Then just went through the sanding grades in the usual way.
Ted

Kidbee
16th August 2012, 06:37 PM
Good form and pleasing to the eye.

Christos
16th August 2012, 07:10 PM
I like this one, mainly because it is out of round. :2tsup:

artme
16th August 2012, 08:01 PM
Great vase there Ted!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You did well to not have more cracking in the end grain.

I love sheoak, in fact I love Cassuarinas and Alocassuarins because of the amazing grain you can find. They are problematic however, as they are very difficult to season without cracking problems. This in turn leads to having to work with relatively small section pieces.

I have some alocassuarina from near Grafton. It is as hard asthe hobbs of hell, slightly warped and with some checking. Pity, as it is nice timber.