PDA

View Full Version : Picket Fences (Again)

royale
16th March 2005, 11:59 AM
Hi all- after being a reader for a while I thought its time to register and make my first post, so Ill start by saying thanks for all the advice and contributions you have all offered in the forums.

My first question is- what and where are the good timber suppliers for a picket fence in Melbourne preferably around the oakleigh to carnegie area, but I guess it doesnt matter if they deliver. As usual with home renos, price is the highest priority, but quality and advice is a factor too. I have tried getting a quote from tile importers (as suggested in another thread) but the tell me they don't do dressed T/Pine which was what I was hoping to do the posts and rails out of. I have also been quoted by http://www.outdoortimber.com.au/ (http://www.outdoortimber.com.au/) who were very helpful but didnt seem overly sharp on pricing.

My next request is for general advice on picket fences, what ever you got I would appreciate.

Thanks all

barnsey
16th March 2005, 12:38 PM
Hi royale,

Welcome to the board.

My experience with picket fences was some time ago in Brunswick down there. I had a corner block so it was a lot of fence. I wasn't and still am not a big fan of Treated Pine. It's dangerous - as another thread here is revealing (lets face it you don't need to be Einstein to work out cyanide is a nasty substance and your trying to keep the kids in or out of your yard!!). Go for a drive and look at some picket jobs and I'll bet the ones with the warped and bent boards are pine and/or treated pine.

The posts were red gum, the rails were kd hardwood DAR and I used Cypress pickets. I believe you could use Cypress for the posts too - good for 100 years+ in the ground!?! :eek: The base boards were a long lasting exotic out of SE asia but I forget what it was now.

I undercoated everything after the posts and rails were installed. including an amazing number of pickets - great job for the kids :D

All fixings were galvanized or brass for the ornamental stuff. I did cheat and got a painter to finish the 100' of painting required.

FWIW

Jamie

Barry_White
16th March 2005, 02:28 PM
If you want to go for a picket fence why not a Colorbond one. Ask any painter about painting and maintaining timber picket fences, he will tell you they are a nightmare.

Have a look here.

http://www.bluedogfences.com.au/picket_fences.htm

simon c
16th March 2005, 03:49 PM
Barry is right, picket fences take ages to paint

royale
16th March 2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I like the look of a real picket fence to much to choose anything else

Barry_White
16th March 2005, 05:23 PM
That's ok. I just think you are a beggar for punishment on all that maintainence.

seriph1
25th March 2005, 11:41 AM
hiya - picket fences certainly have their place. I have built a few and can say it is DEFINITELY easier to pre paint EVERYTHING! There are some real considerations in addition to this one. Please DONT make your fence from "Windsor tops" - theyre a menace in as much as everyone has used them and they have become boring, especially when there are around 60 different tops available. Please post a pic or give a description of your home (Calif Bungalows proliferate in your area) - that will give me a good indication as to what you might be trying to achieve. Also, have you built a fence before? It may pay to help someone else build theirs and learn the different tricks of the trade. If you can't, then ask a bunch of folks who have built fences (which is why youre here I guess). Base plinths are essential to the logevity - stainless nails or gal nails are a minimum - think carefully about the post material - go for a good drive and take pics of the ones you love/like and if possible, framing homes similar to your own. Finally, are you absolutely defininite that a picket fence is what you want? There are many period style fences that are wonderful and somewhat more practical than picket fences........

just a few things to ponder :D:D:D:D:D:D:D