PDA

View Full Version : first wood lathe

Mitch3
18th August 2012, 03:36 PM
Hey
I have been looking to buy my first wood lath I have been looking at a woodfast m910 but am open to all sugestions.

What is everyones opinion???

Looking to spend about $3000

artme
18th August 2012, 04:45 PM
A good lathe, so you can't really go wrong. Shirley Mrs. Woodpecker has one and loves it.

Also look atan ML46 with EVS from Hare and Forbes., Fred, Big Shed has one and is very happy with it.

Talk to Jim Carrol about tha Teknatool lathes too. Good equipment from a respected dealer.

Good luck with the hunt.

Jim Carroll
18th August 2012, 04:58 PM
The woodfast M910 is a good lathe. It has mass on its side so can cope with most things you throw at it.

Comparable other lathes in this capacity is the Vicmarc VL200, VL175 others are lighter in weigh capacity and build.

The DVRXP is an excellent lathe and to get up to similar specs with capaity you would need the bed extension and cast Iron stand.

All depends on what you think you may want to do with it.

Even a short bed VL200 or VL300 may be a better option as all long bed lathes need about 2m in lenght and 600mm from the wall.

Big Shed
18th August 2012, 05:30 PM
Also look atan ML46 with EVS from Hare and Forbes., Fred, Big Shed has one and is very happy with it.

Yes, very happy with my WL-46 from Hare and Forbes, excellent value for money, if you do go that way I'd suggest you get the outboard turning attachment as well.

W387 | WL-46A Electronic Variable Speed Wood Lathe | machineryhouse.com.au (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W387)

W387A | BTA-46 Bowl Turning Attachment Suits WL-46 Lathe | machineryhouse.com.au (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W387A)

Ozartisan
18th August 2012, 07:52 PM
Hi Mitch
Welcome! Have you considered the Cougar from Trend Timbers? In my opinion - best value for money on the market.
I have 2 Nova DVRs and a 350 Cougar. All are great lathes but I must admit I tend to go to the Cougar first nowdays.
The new Cougar 400 has double the power of mine and a bigger swing.
Don't know where you are in the Hunter, but if you want to wander over to Taree sometime, you can have a play on the Cougar (& the DVRs) before you put your hand in your pocket to buy a lathe.
I was lucky enough to demonstrate on the new Cougar 400 at the Sydney woodshow, & will be doing same at Canberra show in a couple of weeks.
Feel free to call me at Artisans if you want to chat.
Cheers
Peter