PDA

View Full Version : Wooden trim in bathroom

KBnLink
16th March 2005, 08:34 PM
My wife has decided that the tiles in the ensuite need to have a wooden trim rail running around them, mostly to conceal the edge of the tiles. The tiles have been painted using some proprietary system, and then covered in shower seal.

I plan to simply buy edge trim from Bunnings et al, stain and seal, and attach. Oh, if only it was that easy

Does anyone have any advice on how I can attach the trim to the wall/tiles? I intend to use a marine varnish to seal the wood, and to run clear silicone above and below the wood to seal it from runoff. Attaching the stuff has got me buggered !! :confused:

johnc
16th March 2005, 08:58 PM
At the risk of being shot down in flames perhaps stud adhesive might do it, used sparingly (read thin but well covered) it should pull it into the wall and paint down to the seal. You would need to be pretty creative in holding it while it set. To do the same cover job at home I avoided the wood and simply undercoated and painted down to the top of the tile which produced a tidy effect and imho a neater and cleaner job. Mind you swmbo always gets the last word so don't consider this an opinion.

Regards, John.

bitingmidge
16th March 2005, 09:25 PM
Or even better, make sure the timber is thoroughly sealed (finished) first and buy some high quality masking tape, use silicone and stick it in place with the tape till it goes off.

Alternatively you could use dobs of hot melt glue to hold it till the silicone goes off, either way you are going to need another pair of hands!

Cheers,

P