PDA

View Full Version : This is me

chdandmestudio
19th August 2012, 07:02 PM
Didnt know what else to write in title, but this is me so you know who is asking you all the annoying questions (getting in early as I know I will).
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii236/chdandme/31058_1434452068806_8163359_n.jpg

issatree
19th August 2012, 09:04 PM
Hi there,
So what are your Questions.

chdandmestudio
20th August 2012, 02:18 PM
None yet but I havnt had a chance yet to use my new router so when I do there will be heaps dont you worry. That thing both totally thrilled me ( a birthday present from my man) and also scared the crap out of me all in one step. Never been scared of a power tool till this one, havnt even seen someone use one so didnt know where to even begin.

Have now done some practice with the cutting bits and loved it, easier than I thought. Havnt been brave enough yet to try the edge bits but when I do you can bet I will have a million questions.

Groggy
20th August 2012, 02:29 PM
Don't be scared of it, but do be very careful and never get complacent.

I suggest you have a look at a number of Youtube videos to get an idea of how they are used.

Another tip - buy good quality bits one at a time, boxed sets tend to be underutilised. Buying them online can be cheap but fraught with danger as there are some terrible bits around.

Ask here before plunging in (so to speak :) ).

Robson Valley
20th August 2012, 03:13 PM
Hi
I've had a router for many, many years.
I have learned two things
a) as a hand-held tool for free-hand power carving wood = hopeless is a polite word.
b) top quality hearing protection with extra foam panels added. This allows me to concentrate more easily on the router, the wood and the work. The muffs are a leftover from a past life, plenty of metallic silhouette target shooting with a 7mm/.308 pistol.
Hearing protection, really good hearing protection was an absolute must. Worth it.

chdandmestudio
20th August 2012, 03:34 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice, I admit the noise is very distracting so I love the tip about ear protection, though I suspect my family may want them before me lol.

My Pa is going to send me all his bits, they are mostly very old and very well used and love, so they will be much appreciated here as the price of bits is horrific when you buy quality ones. Though I can see the reasons for this. Pa also tells me he has made me a lot of jigs? I assume they are templates to use with the router. I so wish he lived close to me.

Robson Valley
21st August 2012, 03:10 AM
Hearing protection? Gotta have it or you will pay the price down the road.
Hearing guy says for me it was either gunshots or explosions (or both) which have done me in. Can't hear a dang thing over 4k and loud sharp sounds (like trap shooting) are quite painful.
Jigs = yes, usually wooden templates used as a guide for some shape that you need the router to follow.
Bedtime reading: The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee (he's the grand old man of Lee Valley and a tool collector, you see some on the catalog covers.) pgs 211-213 deal with router bits. Not worth buying for just that.