PDA

View Full Version : bowl turning options

mick59wests
19th August 2012, 07:29 PM
I am fairly new to turning and have been mostly interested in bowls. Every time I do some more reading / research I seem to find another way of turning a bowl so I started up a spreadsheet (see attached). I have only filled in what I know for small bowls which can be turned in a single session (ie: not green where you need to wait and have a second go at it).

I am not exactly sure what I am going to do with it, but I think it would be a good reference for newbies like me.

I would like to add some words around when it is most suitable for each.

Before I tackle the others I have (large bowls + both small and large turned once green and another time later) is what I have enough for small bowls?

thanks

Mick

dr4g0nfly
20th August 2012, 07:28 AM
To answer your your question, yes, you have enough to turn a small bowl.

The bad news is everyone you talk to will have a slightly different slant on one of the steps you're trying to describe or a different method altogether. So trying to catalogue all the interrelated options in a spreadsheet could be a interesting challenge.

To give you two more off the top of my head;

Pin Chuck. to hold green wood for it's initial turning and,

Jam Chuck, uses, many and varied including reversing a bowl on to finish the base.

Can I suggest you buy a book on Lathe holding methods, it should cover (nearly) all the options.

Mobyturns
20th August 2012, 10:31 AM
Have a look for these books

A Guide to Work-Holding on the Lathe - by Fred Holder

Woodturning A Foundation Course - by Keith Rowley. (a very good general knowledge book on the basics)

Fixtures and Chucks for Woodturning: Everything You Need to Know to Secure Wood on Your Lathe - by Doc Green

:)

mick59wests
20th August 2012, 07:03 PM
thanks for the replies. I'll see about getting a hold of some of those books
cheers
Mick