PDA

View Full Version : $650 Budget - Best lathe and tools?

BillyBleed
19th August 2012, 08:35 PM
Hi all as the title suggests i have a 650 buck budget - what should i be looking at?

I want to turn lamp shades, bowls, bracelets, and vases..

Any advice and direction appreciates!

Mobyturns
19th August 2012, 08:44 PM
A club membership - seriously become a member of a good club and gain access to their lathes, sharpening equipment & tools. Your $650 is a tight budget so a club will help you with access to things you need but only use occasionally.:)

issatree
19th August 2012, 08:55 PM
Hi BB,
That is sure an awkward question.
I should think that you might look for a Wood Club via Google, or a Mens Shed, & have a chat to them + have a play on their Lathes, + check out the Turning Tools, their Chucks, & other incidentals.
If you buy a Midi Lathe, you maybe able to do what you want, but you have blown well over half of the 650, & you still need Tools, which I wood add, you buy Unhandled, & for me, P&N are the way to go.
You could possibly get away with not having a Chuck, but that is like driving a Horse & Cart, in 2012.
So that is my 2sense worth.

BillyBleed
19th August 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the advice - I work strange hours in a hospital so trying to get free time when others are around is pretty difficult.

If 650 is not enough what would be more realistic?

Happy to save further..

Mobyturns
20th August 2012, 10:47 AM
BB you have specified a range of projects requiring a range of techniques & tooling but particularly the "lamp shades" which involves turning large blanks of timber that require a bit of prep work. Out of balance blanks of that size will severely test or destroy any of the low end lathes on the market.

Try looking on Ebay or check out the local clubs and let them know you are looking for an older Vicmarc 850 or a Woodfast 908 (not an MC908!) or similar. These lathes won't have variable speed but will be substantial & will handle the range of work you want to do. Often on Ebay there are complete packages, lathe chuck & tools of quite reasonable to very good quality items availabe due to ill health etc. Recently there was a Woodfast 908, lathe steady, vicmarc 120 chuck, jacobs chuck, tools etc for $1500.:)

Paul39
20th August 2012, 11:18 AM
Hi all as the title suggests i have a 650 buck budget - what should i be looking at?

I want to turn lamp shades, bowls, bracelets, and vases..

Any advice and direction appreciates!

Read This: Buying a lathe and starting out in woodturning. (http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/startwt.htm)

A little time in front of a lathe before you buy anything is good.

A used cast iron 4 or 5 speed step pulley driven lathe is uncomplicated and sturdy.

The old Woodfasts are wonderful, I have a 20 inch swing short bed made in the late 1980s that was rusty and parts seized. It had a variable speed conversion and was $850

I bought a Hegner 175 lathe (350mm swing, 900 mm between centers) with a Oneway chuck, Oneway live center set, 8 inch 1725, rpm grinder with the wolverine jig set up, and Vari grind jig for $500 US a few years ago. I was the 3rd owner, it was barely used with not a spec of spattered finish on it. Some of the accessories had not been removed from the boxes.

This is a 6 speed belt driven German lathe with a stout cast iron head and tail stock, and stout cast iron tool rest. The bed is square steel tubing that flexes and vibrates if I get close to the limits of size.

Keep on the lookout and ask around. Be patient, the right lathe at the right price will eventually show up.

If you buy good quality used and sell in 5 years you will probably get your money back. If you buy not so good new and sell you might get 1/3 back.

Christos
20th August 2012, 11:50 AM
From a novice turner it took me a long time before I got my first lathe. It came about from a fix a upper from the market place.

I most likely spent more then the amount you mention fixing this and getting my first turning done which was between centers. I have since purchase a chuck, some tools and so did my first bowl just recently.

The thing that I notice from my understanding it takes time to know the lathe, your tools and especially what could go wrong.

I am also part of a turning club where we meet once a month.

Reading posts on this forum has helped in gaining knowledge, seeing what people can make some inspirational.

I guess I am not on the same path as you are but do think we start at the same stage.

Paul39
21st August 2012, 12:41 AM
BillyBleed

Here is your lathe:

Hafco wood lathe (and 1.5hp motor, $100 extra) | Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Sutherland Area - Woronora Heights (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woronora-heights/tools-diy/hafco-wood-lathe-and-1-5hp-motor-100-extra-/1004858687#)

Forum members comment please.

Paul39
21st August 2012, 11:49 AM
And another, lathe, chuck, and tools:

Woodfast wood lathe model M305 and tools | Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Mount Barker Area - Nairne (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nairne/tools-diy/woodfast-wood-lathe-model-m305-and-tools/1005371508)

ian thorn
21st August 2012, 03:12 PM
As has allready been said contact a club ,theres a few near you in Melbourn,most clubs have a week day or some sat turnout as well as nighttime and this may suite your job they will help with your turning and may be able to put you in touch with a good second hand lathe for sale. Google melbourn wood turning clubs good luck:)

jimbur
21st August 2012, 04:02 PM
And another, lathe, chuck, and tools:

Woodfast wood lathe model M305 and tools | Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Mount Barker Area - Nairne (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nairne/tools-diy/woodfast-wood-lathe-model-m305-and-tools/1005371508)
Listed as $390 brand new on the Woodfast site.
Cheers,
Jim

BobL
21st August 2012, 04:19 PM
Listed as $390 brand new on the Woodfast site.
Cheers,
Jim

Plus $140 for the stand, and the one on ebay comes with tools and a chuck.
Still way over priced though. Same guy has a 2100W ryobi router for $250, ebay buy price on a new one is $180.

BillyBleed
21st August 2012, 07:55 PM
thanks all,i really appreciate the support and advice - nice to see such enthusiasm to help a newbie out!!

i have found altona woodworkers and roy from get woodworking who i'll speak with this week hopefully!

i know its the best path to take in the short and long run rather than throwing my money at something i know nothing about, getting fustrated, and giving up before i even gave myself a chance!

:)