PDA

View Full Version : Metamorphosis

torchwood
19th August 2012, 08:35 PM
There is something seriously magical about wood turning, I looked at this piece of wood for hours trying to work out what to make out of it, and I couldn't see anything. In the end I just turned the bloody lathe on, hope you like it.

mkypenturner
19th August 2012, 08:37 PM
wow :2tsup: im also really glad you had a before pic as well as i wouldnt belive you if i didnt see the before

Durham Lad
19th August 2012, 09:16 PM
Some journey you took there. Don,t know what it is but it would find a place in my office any day. Brian.

Arry
19th August 2012, 09:19 PM
Simply stunning :2tsup:

Willbur
19th August 2012, 09:24 PM
That's awesome Torchwood! Got a query....being relatively new to turning, was wondering how you mounted the timber in the chuck initially like in the first photo? That is, what's the process with a lump like that?

bassmansimon
19th August 2012, 09:37 PM
That looks great. Having never turned a hollow form, I am really hoping that you have just shown me the light... Was the entire inside of this simply done by Forster bits in a Jacobs chuck? Also what are the approx dimensions of this job?

And again, you have turned a bit of nothing into something really special.

torchwood
19th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Hi, thanks for the comments,
Willbur, the wood ( ironbark I think), is held on with a chuck screw.
bassmansimon, the dimensions are 7" x 3 1/2''. The Forstner bit went in 3 inches then I used a round carbide tipped chisel to widen it out a bit, but not much. I don't have the tools or the knowhow to go all the way to the bottom through a small opening yet.

fxst
19th August 2012, 10:59 PM
Well I really like the result. Definately a zen woodturner:D
Pete

dai sensei
19th August 2012, 11:05 PM
I amazed :cool:, certainly a fantastic result :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
20th August 2012, 07:41 AM
I looked at this piece of wood for hours trying to work out what to make out of it, and I couldn't see anything. In the end I just turned the bloody lathe on, hope you like it.

I've several bits of timber I sit and look at, waiting for inspiration, maybe I should try you approach, it certainly seems to work,

Nice hollowform. :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
20th August 2012, 07:46 AM
I've several bits of timber I sit and look at, waiting for inspiration, maybe I should try you approach, it certainly seems to work,

Nice hollowform. :2tsup:
I had a piece for 6 years before I started on it, in the end, I just stuck it on the bench & hacked into it with a chainsaw taking off the bits that 'didn't belong' until I could see the bits that did belong. :D

BlackbuttWA
20th August 2012, 10:12 AM
Just goes to show the old saying "DON"T throw anything away" is especially sifnificant in woodturning.

Great job, I love the natural areas.

Col

Paul39
20th August 2012, 10:46 AM
Hi, thanks for the comments,
Willbur, the wood ( ironbark I think), is held on with a chuck screw.
bassmansimon, the dimensions are 7" x 3 1/2''. The Forstner bit went in 3 inches then I used a round carbide tipped chisel to widen it out a bit, but no much. I don't have the tools or the knowhow to go all the way to the bottom yet.

Assuming the chisel was long enough, it would go to the bottom. I push in to the center and gradually come up to the rim. A nice long handle helps. I make them from found bed posts and table legs.

I recently sanded the bottom of a deep vase by chucking a Phillips screwdriver in a variable speed drill with sandpaper stuck on the end of the handle with double sided foam tape.

An old plastic dishwashing brush with the bristles cut off and sandpaper stuck on with double sided foam tape makes a tool for sanding the sides and into the bottom curve.

I cut a square of sandpaper and stick it on with the corners off the tape. The unsupported corners help blend.

Edit: Beautiful piece!

torchwood
20th August 2012, 11:16 AM
I had a piece for 6 years before I started on it, in the end, I just stuck it on the bench & hacked into it with a chainsaw taking off the bits that 'didn't belong' until I could see the bits that did belong. :D

To paraphrase Cliff "Take off the bits that don't belong":2tsup: Cheers Harry
Paul 39, Thanks for the hints

orraloon
20th August 2012, 11:23 AM
I have got to give that the thumbs up. I would never have considered that lump for turning in the first place. Everyone will now be out at the firewood pile having a second look.
Regards
John

powderpost
20th August 2012, 09:27 PM
I like it.. nice simple clean lines. I have quite a few pieces in waiting. Now I realize why my shed is a "mess". I like your attitude, "spin it and see what comes out of it". Sadly they don't always work out the way you would like.
:2tsup:
Jim