PDA

View Full Version : analysing insulating material

EMistral
17th March 2005, 11:36 AM
hi guys,

Me again. I was wondering if somebody could tell me where to analyze the insulating material in my roof?
Basically I'd like to know if it is asbestos or not.
I was told it was not but I would prefer to bring a sample to a lab or a company that could certify that.
I live in Melbourne
Thanks for your help
Eric

Eastie
17th March 2005, 05:00 PM
Contact a NATA certified laboratory and see if they will analyse a sample if you bring it in. They should be able to do it on the spot if you pre-arrange a time. The cost can vary from $0 to $50 for analysis and a verbal report (make sure you only ask for a verbal otherwise you will be quoted for a written analysis report). Go to the following site, under the "Fast Find" menu click "Testing &" Calibration Labs" and do a manual search for "asbestos". http://www.nata.asn.au/

This will give you contact details for all labs certified to identify asbestos.

Confirm with them how much material they want (normally very little - no more than a 5c piece) and how they want the sample bagged (i.e. double bagged in zip-lock sandwich bags - take the first bag into the roof space - leave the second bag outside. Put the sample in the first bag, then put the first bag into the second bag once you are outside the roof space. This helps to prevent contaminating the outer bag with asbestos fibres. Some labs aren't so fussy, but double bags offer you some protection if the bag unintentionally opens on the way).

I also suggest you do some research on personal protection if you are going to collect the sample yourself - especially if the stuff you are dealing with is "friable" sprayed in insulation (= extremely high risk). There was another thread earlier today that I put a link containing some good material.

Kris.Parker1
17th March 2005, 05:38 PM
Sounds like a serious problem, do you know if it is sheets or if it is loose? Don't go disturbing it without a breathing mask at the minimum when you take the sample to the lab.

EMistral
18th March 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for that
It is not sheet
It is crumbled so that's why people told me it is not asbestos but the insulating material builders put in when building a house
But I'd like to be sure because the house is 30 years old and at that time, asbestos was commonly used for insulation

Wildman
20th March 2005, 11:38 PM
There is little likelihood that it is loose fill asbestos in a ceiling cavity in Melbourne, It was basically never used, especially that recently. If you lived in certain parts of South Australia then there may be an issue. The most common location for loose fill asbestos in Melbourne is in and around Malvern and then it is boxed around hot water pipes (square boxing) around 40-60 years ago. If it is 30 years old and crumbled, it could be urea formaldehyde foam which was used up until about 25 years ago and is very brittle and forms a pale-yellow to white powdery dust that is very light and blows around. Any P1/P2 disposable respirator is fine for it, it is not bad for you except if you inhale it. I used Aussie Vac Attack to vaccuum it out of my ceiling cavity, they charge abou $8.50/square metre.

A P1/P2 disposable respirator is also fine for bound asbestos (fibro cement sheet and pipes) but loose fill requires a proper respirator. Always spray with pva solution before handling fibro if you cannot be sure it is asbestos free.

There is a pdf available from the department of Human services on the Vic govt website regarding home asbestos disposal and protective measures.

Cheers
Ben