PDA

View Full Version : is eucalyptus any good to turn (for tool handles)

Rowan
17th March 2005, 05:22 PM
Wondering if anyone can tell me what eucalpytus is like to turn and what its like as a wood ie strength, warping, splitting. Not sure what the type is but its a tall thin tree with a pale, smooth thin bark (like a snow gum but it aint!!!). Grows pretty straight.

Just that we had one come down recently so today I cut them into managable lengths, turned them into cylinders and waxed the ends. I was thinking about turning some 16inch tool handles from them as all my tools currently are short ones. Is it worth it or should I just use them to practise my technique on??

Gingermick
17th March 2005, 06:58 PM
I have two tools with gum handles. One spotted the other Blue, and they are both good. I also have a Blue gum 'dont argue' stick (For my 1 year old daughter's boyfriends when she starts wanting them in 15 years) and it hasn't warped or split. It looks good too
mick

rsser
17th March 2005, 07:25 PM
Rowan, between the genuses of gum (genii?) there are about 700 species. And it's not easy to clearly identify them.

So suck it and see.

Spotted gum as Mick says is good stuff. Ditto Jarrah (from memory euc marginata), redgum (euc camaldulensis?) etc.

'Ash' is only fair (regnans, delegatensis, messmate).

I had some unidentified pale euc out of a pile of house framing scraps that turned fine when still a bit green and was useless dry.

Barry_White
17th March 2005, 07:34 PM
If you have a look in Bunnings at the axe handles and log splitter handles you will find that the majority of them are made from Stringy Bark.

Kris.Parker1
18th March 2005, 12:22 PM
I made a couple of handles for my hand saws out of a bit of red wood, and they are working great. But then again I am not swinging a one kilogram weight on the end and slamming it into a bit of wood.

Ross
18th March 2005, 12:40 PM
I made some of my handles from spotted gum a couple of years back and they have been great. The rest of the chisells were bought with handles and will be replaced with spotted gum if they break.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ross

Kris.Parker1
18th March 2005, 02:49 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I agree totally!

JackoH
19th March 2005, 09:14 AM
What do you think the early settlers made most of everything from? Tool handles to fences to houses.
I have made several chisel handles from kd hardwood,mostly mountain ash, (E. regnans.)