PDA

View Full Version : Searching for best table saw.

JessWD
18th March 2005, 10:27 AM
Hello,
Not sure if most members of this board live in Aussieland or not, so that may determine whether my question and need for guidance is appropriate - given the suppliers in the U.S. where I live.
I am forced to use my garage for all my woodworking. This means lots of putting equipment/tools away after I'm finished so the Tudra pick up can come in for the night. I have to have my router table on a base with wheels.
I have had a Mark 5 Shopsmith for about 18 years. I am very grateful to have it; however the table saw is totally inaccurage, due to the sloppy fence.
Therefore I am in the market for a good table saw. I cannot afford, nor could I afford to have a new electric line put in to handle a heavy 3 hp Cabinet saw; so my search and reading indicates my best, practical choice is to obtain an Industrial Contractor's 10" table saw of 1 1/2 hp, rating that could be placed on a mobile base.
I would like to have the Biesemeyer fence. I have had the Delta Model 36-682 Industrial Contractor Saw recommended. I can find it through Amazon.com with a 30" Biesemeyer Commercial fence, and free shipping for
$799.99. Although this price is a sacrifice for me, so far it is the best deal I
have found. Yet, before I make such a commitment, I am seeking any additional counsel or warning to help assure I make a solid, wise decision.
Do those of more experience, have any real cautions to give me, or any
guidance and other factors that I may not be aware of, but that I need to know before reaching a decision?
Is there a better saw for the money I should know about? If so, why do you consider it a better saw.
My thoughts are that a Biesemeyer fence is more important than the saw itself - for accuracy. If it would fit on my Shopsmith, I'd go that route, but I have to have a table saw to use any of the top three accurate fences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I assure you.

Thanks in advance,

JessWD
[email protected]

markharrison
18th March 2005, 08:13 PM
Most of us here are Aussies but a table saw is a table saw, north or south of the equator. :D

There have been many magazine articles on contractor saw comparisons. The new class of hybrid saws from De Walt (which we don't get here) and from Jet (called a SuperSaw which we do get here) look to be the best in class. If I was going to buy a saw in that category, that is what I would buy. The North American market has much more option than we have though so you should plan to do some more research before making a purchasing decision.

That said, I have a cabinet saw and I don't think it's powerful enough sometimes but Australian hardwoods are significantly tougher than those indigenous to North America.

echnidna
18th March 2005, 08:19 PM
If the saw is ok except for the fence why not just get (or make) a good fence??

DanP
18th March 2005, 11:07 PM
Try the Grizzly version of the TSC10HB (can't remember the grizzly model no) Lots of members hereabouts have it and love it.

Dan

I'll try to find the Model Number and post it if I do.

DanP
19th March 2005, 12:13 AM
FOUND IT!

It's the G1023S. Here's a Link. (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1023S&&gid=461F7658-6312-43C2-A54D-F80D6B1548C8&site=grizzly) It has a Biesemeyer style fence.

Dan

NewLou
19th March 2005, 03:18 AM
Heres a post by Morry on a Shopmade Biesemeyer style Fence ............

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=8268

Regards LOu

rev
19th March 2005, 10:19 AM
If you are otherwise happy with the Shopsmith, have you considered a fence upgrade? Incra make a fence specifically for the Shopsmith I think; I'm sure a number of others are also adaptable. It wouls save the space of another machine and save you money to boot!