PDA

View Full Version : Broken Left Pully MC900 Lathe

patrickdoig
27th August 2012, 12:39 PM
I recently bought a second hand MC900 Wood Lathe in Brisbane. When I got it home and tried to use the thing, I noticed that the speed adjustment was not working. I took off the adjustment arm and cleaned it out as was full of junk. I then put it back and with a bit of force it worked, allowing me to increase the speed. When I was turning it back to the slowest speed, there was a large banging noise and the left pulley exploded into about 10 pieces, without the guard on as I was still trying to make sure it was running correctly, it went all across my workshop (luckily I was standing off centre and was wearing face protection).
I am new to the world of turning and am greatly disappointed that my lathe is no-longer working as I am a university student with a young family and thus could have spent my money on many other things. I however am still determined to get it working and was wondering if someone would know where I can get a new “pully-motor (left)” for my Variable Speed Wood Lathe MC900. Thanks

petersemple
27th August 2012, 12:40 PM
Try Carba-Tec

vk4
27th August 2012, 04:12 PM
Pat,

Take the broken Pulley center to either Carba Tech or Hare&Forbes , .

The shaft diameter can vary, depending on the model and year of manufacture,
also I think these are sold in pairs, it is better to replace both as I would not put a new and old side together.

Also a new belt would not go amiss, keep the old belt for a spare.

Carba-Tech is in Wakerly , and Hare & Forbes at Archerfield, both have web sites and parts can be ordered on line

Jeff
vk4

patrickdoig
27th August 2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks very much for your advice, will take it down there during the week and get a new one. Cheers

woodwork wally
28th August 2012, 09:40 PM
Gidday I had the same happen to mine and the boys at hare and forbs helped me basically over the phone you can look up a parts catalogue on their site. measure you shaft diameter as the motors varied with power and I think parts had to come down from Q/land cheers WW.Wally