PDA

View Full Version : Pool Cue Turning- First attempt. Advice?

twood95
27th August 2012, 07:23 PM
As mentioned in the title, I'm about to start making a hardwood pool cue. This is a project to fill in time after completing my year 12 major project.

The school's lathe is fairly small so, I'll be turning it in halves. Hopefully this will eliminate most of the vibration but, I feel that problems will arise when aligning the two halves? The plan is to make each longer than necessary, match the circumferences with calipers and cut so that they'll line up. Any advice/better methods?

I've had little turning experience apart from a small bowl a few years ago and this will be my first longer turn. If anyone has made cues before, I'd appreciate advice. I realise that advice is no substitute for experience but, It'd sure help.

I'll be using Tambuti (also called African Sandalwood) and maybe some Kiaat, Rosewood or Cedar in the handle.

chuck1
27th August 2012, 10:24 PM
Hi, you used to be able to buy the brass connectors to screw the pieces together, if you can still buy them that would make joining them easier!

TTIT
27th August 2012, 11:00 PM
Try doing an advanced search for threads started by 'Purpleheart' - he was an avid cue builder who did some good WIPs on here a few years ago.

soundman
2nd September 2012, 04:57 PM
If you want the two parts to join up accurately use a steel mandrel to turn and sand too, or depending on the hardware......install the hardware and turn and sand flush to that.

I seem to remember timberbits have stick joiners......walking stick joiners, pool cue joiners.......same dif.

you will certainly find que tips on ebay, you may also find joiners.

Or if you are doing metal work, you could machine them out of brass.

on any job that long and thin you will have chatter issues.......don't be too proud to sand ( a lot) using a long flat block.

If the school has a steady...use it.

cheers

Drillit
3rd September 2012, 11:44 AM
Hello twood95,
Why dont you consider going to a nearby woodturning club and get proper advice, including perhaps access to a lathe that will allow you to turn in one piece if that is what you really want. You are going to need a long straight edge to ensure no highs and lows and you will need to use the skew. So that the taper is accurate you need a sketch plan and measurements. I think that the level of difficulty requires that you have proper instructions. You will find that the turning clubs are very helpful and only too keen to assist. Drillit.